Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Northern Lights

Hi
    Off to Northern Norway in a few weeks to hopefully see the Northern lights. I know it will be a case of trial and error but has anyone any idea of exposure settings for them.

Thanks
    John

Re: Northern Lights

Hi John,

Have a look at this site, some good tips -
    AlaskaPhotoGraphics - Professional Alaska photos for commercial publication and fine art prints for home decor. Categories include wildlife, nature, aurora, national parks, adventure, and more.

Also Spaceweather.com has some good gallery shots of the Aurora.

I hope you strike lucky with your timing, there has been a recent slight upturn in solar activity, but we are still very much at solar minimum. Keep everything crossed !
    Good luck and hopefully we will see your pics when you get back.

Comment

Thanks for that.

Lots of interesting information on the site. eg. what happens to rubber at a temperature of -40C (yes I can already sense the jokes).
      Must admit the exposure times caught me by suprise and are far in excess of what I would have tried at first.

Cheers
      John

Comment

Hi John,
        See your post is from January so take it you have been already. I was up on Andøya for all of November and early December last year and got some good pics. Used everything from 8 secs thru to 30 secs. But most I took at an average of about 15 secs. Where are you going to photograph, or did you, or did you perhaps.
        Rubber gets a bit stiff, but had no problems on Andøya with that. Because of the Gulf Stream it never really gets much more than -10℃. Had more trouble with battery life.

Comment

Hi
          Yes I have already been. We flew to Tromso then got on boat and went round top of Norway and down to a place called Kirkenes, very close to Russian border. Out of way of Gulf Stream there and temps down to -25C. Strangely despite warnings, batteries on 40D and 350D held up very well. As a holiday it was brilliant but unfortunately the two occassions the lights were visible where, 1) When we were on the boat which was moving, so although the lights are ok on photos, all the background is very blurred. 2) Had been out for evening and were coming back in minibus and I didn't have tripod with me, Jammed camera against minibus but not much good when people getting on and off during 30sec exposure. Have a few record shots but nothing to put up on the wall.
          John

Comment

Yes,
            but you saw the lights!!!!
            Be happy.

Comment

Oh I am happy, it's best holiday I've ever had. It would have been even better if I'd been able to take shots from stationary position. Here's one of the better ones. I was using 40D@24mm, wider lens would be better

40D, 24-105 lens@24mm, 30secs@f5, iso 800

Thanks
              John

Comment

Hi,
                Just caught up with your response. Only been to Kirkenes in the summer. Did you use the Hurtigruten? I want to try again, but using my camper in January, February next year.
                Main thing though as "hughbie" says, you saw them!!
                Check this link there are a few of my pics of the lights there but as with you nothing for the wall. Enjoy your photography.

Martin

Comment

Working...
                X