Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously foggy in Amsterdam

A seriously foggy day in Amsterdam.

I do wonder how I could have made this photo (even) more interesting and better (quality wise). Suggestions?

Last edited by vdzande; 21-11-2011, 13:15. Reason: Added response notification to the thread ;)
    Do feel free to comment on any of my contributions.
    EOS-500D. Flickr: _rutger_

Re: Seriously foggy in Amsterdam

I had the same problem in England yesterday. I too would be interested in how best to approach such conditions.

btw - I like it as it is.

Comment

You could try monochrome and a light tint - basic image is good.
      ef-r

Comment

I think it is good as it is. Why should you change something into what it was NOT?
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

It is very natural and do not change it.
          Raj
          Flickr

Comment

it's lovely, but I think the composition is not quite right. With the trees to one side and the fog on the other it's split neatly in two and is effectively two separate pictures joined together. I'd suggest a square crop taken from the line of the trunk on the second tree from the right would be beneficial. That'll make the tree the main point of focus with a good lead in line leading through the boats and then fading away into the half misted tree in the background and then that lovely foggy background gives an air of mystery as to what is further on.

Colours, exposure and contrast are spot on - don't change anything else.
            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Wow, thank you all for your kind comments and suggestions. I will try the crop and repost tomorrow morning. it keeps being foggy here (sight between 50 and 100 mtrs) and I shot some 'mysterious' shots tonight. I'm keen on sharing those too. cu tomorrow ! :)

Comment

Ok, I doubted for a while but I think I need some extra suggestions on the cropping. This is probably due to my lack of English understanding ;)

@woody: could you rephrase the crop you're suggesting? Did you suggest to cut off a bit of the right end (untill the second tree)? And then make it square in order to loose about half of the left misty side?.

i thought I'd rather ask than guess, since I'm eager to learn from all your experience.

Many thanks in advance,
                Rutger

Comment

Ok, here we are. This is a cropped version:

And here's some more from last night:

WDYT?

Cheers,Rutger

Comment

I like the cropped version in #1. I am not qualified to comment on the others but they do look nice- very moody and eerie. Will be scared to walk abouit at that time of day!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thumbs up for the cropped version - last set . . . . the last 2 are superb

.DAVID.
                      Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Nathaniel & David, thank you for the feedback.

Getting enthusiastic again :)

Rutger

Comment

Rutger, I like the cropped version of #1 and the new series for me has much more atmosphere about them, well done

Comment

Like the cropped version better, but also like the gateway at night with the branches above and the light shining through.
                            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                            Di's Flickr

Comment

Hi Rutger

Really like the cropped version, much better, and the 2nd of the new set looks really good, with just enough light leading you in! I must try some night photography!

All the best, Mike.
                              flickr
                              5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Working...
                              X