DSLR and lenses in Olympic Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DSLR and lenses in Olympic Park

Has anyone any experience of using equipment in the stadium?

I have a ticket for the closing ceremony on Sunday night, and wish to use a 5D MK II with a 100-400 mm lens.

When the lens is not fully zoomed, it meets the 30 cm restriction. However, when extended, it would be more than 30cm from the back of the body to the front of the lens (without the lens hood!!)

Am I likely to be told that I cannot use it, or worse that I cannot take it in?

Do they actually measure gear during the security check?

I'm assuming that any DSLR less than 30cm is allowed.

Has anyone used a similar lens??

Re: DSLR and lenses in Olympic Park

I've been to the park twice with my 5d mkii and used the 70-200 lens with no problems. Bag security scanned without any challenge.
    have a great time the atmosphere is amazing.

Martyn
    Martyn

EOS 5D mkll, EOS 60D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS

Comment

Thanks for reply.

Am I correct in thinking, though, that the 70-200 at maximum zoom would comply with the 30cm rule, whereas the 100-400 does not?

Comment

With the hood mounted on the 5d, 320mm
        Martyn

EOS 5D mkll, EOS 60D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS

Comment

Thanks. I'll need to hope that there are no tape measures around!!

Incidentally, were you there during an evening session? I was wondering what artificial light levels are like for hand-shooting. Of course it may be different on the closing night.

Comment

during competition there is plenty of shadowless lighting for hand held. no idea about during any of the ceremonies. have a great time.
            Martyn

Comment

Hi Martyn
              I took my 7D with a 100-400 L through security no probs no questions asked. The atmosphere is electric enjoy your evening.

Chris
              Yesterday is history - Tomorrow is a mystery - Today is a gift that's why it's called the present.

Comment

Originally posted by deefadog View Post
                Hi Martyn
                I took my 7D with a 100-400 L through security no probs no questions asked. The atmosphere is electric enjoy your evening.

Chris
                Thanks for your input. Did they 'see' your gear, ie did they ask you to open your camera bag? I not sure if the security scan shows what's in the bag, or just 'looks' for restricted items.

I did phone London 2012 just before posting this, and they couldn't give a definite answer, although the colleague I spoke to said that there were rumours that cameras UNDER 30cm had been refused entry, not necessarily in the stadium itself.

Comment

Working...
                X