Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Producing Products actual size

Hi Folks

Firstly I'm not sure if this question is in the right thread, so bear with me.

I have been asked to photograph jewellery for a local jeweller, which in it's self is no great problem as I have a 100mm f2.8 macro lens to go on my 5d mark II.

The problem I'm having is that he want's the images actual size of the item for his website. Having never done such work before, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to produce these? My understanding of websites is that the size of the monitor will dictate the item size being viewed, therefore I think it's almost impossible to do. But as I said earlier, I have never done this sort of thing.

He is also wanting to produce a printed brochure, so could I size them to suit print, then this would give me the correct size for web?

Any advise will be gratefully received.

John

Re: Producing Products actual size

When you've taken all your images and sharpened/ straighten/cropped in what ever software your used to.
    save them in full size j peg to a folder these will then be fine for the brochure, if he requires files for the website do another folder with the images cropped to size -( eg 600px x 400px) this can be easily done in dpp (click select all /click batch process / resize )and save into another folder.
    So you'll end up with one folder with full size files and one folder with reduced size files put these onto a memory stick and there you go job done!

Hope that makes sense.

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I'm sure that there are some ways of a web site working out at what size an person is running there computer size at. But if the photo ends up been tiny on a large screen - my laptop is 17.5" wide screen - Desktop 19 inch and on occasion I use the tv screen I would usually enlarge the photo anyway or just ignore it and move on.

However speaking as a buyer of jewellery. (it's an addiction what can I say.) I'd rather see a detail shot and then a shot with a scale at the side so I can judge size of the stone setting etc... if that makes sense.
      Last edited by DeeGee; 17-01-2014, 18:45.
      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
      Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
        When you've taken all your images and sharpened/ straighten/cropped in what ever software your used to.
        save them in full size j peg to a folder these will then be fine for the brochure, if he requires files for the website do another folder with the images cropped to size -( eg 600px x 400px) this can be easily done in dpp (click select all /click batch process / resize )and save into another folder.
        So you'll end up with one folder with full size files and one folder with reduced size files put these onto a memory stick and there you go job done!

Hope that makes sense.

Paul
        Hi Paul, thanks for the reply. Thats almost what I'v done and it seems to be working

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
        I'm sure that there are some ways of a web site working out at what size an person is running there computer size at. But if the photo ends up been tiny on a large screen - my laptop is 17.5" wide screen - Desktop 19 inch and on occasion I use the tv screen I would usually enlarge the photo anyway or just ignore it and move on.

However speaking as a buyer of jewellery. (it's an addiction what can I say.) I'd rather see a detail shot and then a shot with a scale at the side so I can judge size of the stone setting etc... if that makes sense.
        Hi DeeGee, thanks for replying, I have done what Paul recommended to a point an all seems good, and the client is happy, so more work coming my way. Happy days

John

Comment

Originally posted by John27 View Post

Hi DeeGee, thanks for replying, I have done what Paul recommended to a point an all seems good, and the client is happy, so more work coming my way. Happy days

John
          Sounds good. Best of luck.
          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
          Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
          X