More Studley Butterflies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Studley Butterflies

More from our visit to the butterfly world a few weeks ago. All with tamron 90 and ring flash, the flash providing the main exposure

WDYT

Stan

Monarch

glasswing

Zebra
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: More Studley Butterflies

I have always liked the black backgrounds Stan and did them myself, but the background of #3 works better I think.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Lovely set Stan, 2nd is my pick, gorgeous colours, and loads of impact.
      Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
      Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Great set Stan I like them all.but the Glasswing stands out the best for me.

Coda
        There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Absloutely lovely Stan, hard to pick a favourite, if I had to it would be No 3, but all really very nice indeed, I must have a go!!

Regards Paul

Comment

Thanks for looking guys

I have always liked the black backgrounds Stan and did them myself, but the background of #3 works better I think
            the background in 3 was concrete I think

Stan

flickr

Comment

having recently tried this and failed to get any in focus, I think they are all great. do you use a tripod?

Ray

Comment

Ray

I never use a tripod for this sort of thing as in the past i found that by the time you had set it up the butterfly etc had moved on. Also in this sort of place there is very often not enough room anyway; So al the shots were handheld camera set to manual and settings of around 1/200 and f8, ISO 400 to underexpose the background and then using the flash to light and freeze the subject
                Although I used a ring flash, it works just as well with a standard speedlight as similar shots by my wife will show

Stan

flickr

Comment

Absolute crackers, if I were to pick my fav it would be No2, I like the contrast in it.... Thanks for sharing.

Gary

Comment

thanks Gary

Stan

flickr

Comment

Those are great Stan. I am going to Stratford Butterfly centre on Tuesday, but don't expect to get anything like yours.
                      Was interested in your comment re tripod - guess I will leavelmine at home (or in the car, just in case)
                      Was planning on using a Sigma 150 macro with a spedlite - do you think that would be suitable?

Will post any half decent results!

Am looking forward to the warmth of the tropical house, so cold and mis. here today!

Comment

Hi Diana
                        Was planning on using a Sigma 150 macro with a spedlite - do you think that would be suitable?
                        that should be fine and with the sigma you will have a bit more working distance.
                        this is a shot my wife took using my 580 EX II on camera.
                        You need to set the camera to manual mode and dial in about 1/200, f8 and ISO 400. Then with the flash also set to manual dial in around - 1.3 fec and take a test shot. If it is underexposed then just change the fec accordingly
                        Good idea to have the tripod in the car just in case

Stan

flickr

Comment

Beautiful shots as ever Stan, especially the 3rd one in the first set. the last one above though is fantastic! thanks for the tip on the settings, appreciate you sharing them.
                          David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
                          All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

thanks David

Stan

flickr

Comment

Stunning shots.

Joanne
                              To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Comment

Working...
                              X