Focus stacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Focus stacking

Just lately it seems that every time I look-up the news headlines on my mobile there's an article on "Focus Stacking". So, having a bit of time on my hands yesterday I thought I'd give it a whirl. Dead easy. You just need a camera, tripod and a subject. Remember Fathers Day? Well the Toblerone packaging seemed like just the thing. Five shots and a little bit of PS and 15 mins later my first attempt was done.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...53286472_c.jpg[/img]Toblerone Stack by Stephen Thompson, on Flickr

Sorry, I really don't understand why we can only see the link, and not the actual image. But at least the link does work!

Comment

Nicely done.

I keep meaning to do some focus stacking. I have done the research and read the articles, but it hasn't quite happened. Your efforts may spur me on.
      Colin

Comment

Colin's just taken the words out of my mouth - me too. Its a great pity there's only 24 hours in a day!
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Its a great pity there's only 24 hours in a day!
          It's a great pity Mrs C has such a long list of chores.

It's a great pity there are so many hobbies to enjoy.

It's a great pity I need sleep.
          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by powernapper View Post
            Sorry, I really don't understand why we can only see the link, and not the actual image. But at least the link does work!
            You need to post the bbcode. When you go to share select the bbcode option and copy and paste the link.

Nice piece of work too.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Looks very good.....I've not tried it.....I believe there is a focus stacking feature on the RP.
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I haven’t used focus stacking for macro work but sometimes use it for landscapes, if I want to include something close along with a distant background.

John

Comment

I've done it, but gave it up because of the anomalies created by the available software and the amount of work required to "fix" the end result. I did get lucky a couple of times and only had minor work to do in post, but when I found that it was taking 5 and 6 hours to fix OOF areas where the software definitely had an in focus area in the stack, I could no longer justify the effort. So, I went back to F22 and single frames. :-)
                  Steven Dillon Photography - Capturing Nature's Art

Comment

Originally posted by stevendillonphoto View Post
                    I've done it, but gave it up because of the anomalies created by the available software and the amount of work required to "fix" the end result. I did get lucky a couple of times and only had minor work to do in post, but when I found that it was taking 5 and 6 hours to fix OOF areas where the software definitely had an in focus area in the stack, I could no longer justify the effort. So, I went back to F22 and single frames. :-)
                    Yep, I know what you mean. My main subject was ok, but background far from perfect.

Comment

I tend to use focus stacking a lot for macro work. Often, it does generate "ghost" images where it seems unable to determine the actual point of focus. I don't find it too problematic when that happens, but you need to be prepared to do some post-stacking tidying up on occasions. Sometimes, the nature of the image is such that things aren't obviously ghosted, and if it is hard to tell, I generally don't bother to clean up.

Comment

I had a little play yesterday.
                        This was a combination of 80 frames.

Canon EOS R; 100mm macro; 200 ISO; f5.6 at 1/80

Blue bell.jpg
                        Ian

Comment

Working...
                        X