Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sea shells close-up & DoF

Dear colleagues,

I wanted to photograph the nice sea shells that my daughter collected. Aim was to make close-ups, with as much detail as possible, and a high Depth-of-Field, so the entire shell was sharp. That was way more difficult than I expected...

I first thought, I'll zoom-in as much as possible (135mm) and I'll use f-22 and I'm done. But that was not the case, the shells were not sharp everywhere :-(

On the web, I found a formula to calculate the DoF (see photo) based on the focal length of your lens, distance to your subject, f-stop and camera (circle of confusion). And it turns out that a shorter focal length increases your DoF. On top, Robert told me that a lens is at it's sharpest at f-8 or f-11. Based of this, I went with 100mm and f-11. I used (enough) natural light & a tripod, so I could set the ISO to 400 and keep noise very limited. I used 2 sec delay, to avoid all camera shake.

This set-up should give me a DoF of 4.6mm (in front, so above the table). Most shells are not that big, so that should work.
    Nevertheless, I get mixed results. The photo with the 6 (not shiny) shells gives acceptable sharpness. The photo with only one (shiny) shell is NOT sharp everywhere, although exactly the same set-up and settings were used... WHY ?

Did the shiny shell make focussing impossible ? Although manual focus (via live-view) and auto-focus did not give different results.
    Is one of my settings still wrong / not optimal ?
    Please advise. Thanks !

EOS 80D, EF-S 18-135mm IS nano USM at 100mm, f-11, 1/10sec, ISO 400.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Ah, macro and DoF, "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma," (to quote Churchill) - I just refer to it as "The Dark Art" - can't help with the reason, but it is why so many people resort to focus stacking.
    Regards
    Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
    7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
    24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Alain,
      Have you considered that some micro adjustment may be required to calibrate your lense to the camera. I think that one way to check if an adjustment is required would be to deliberately set the focus a tiny fraction too far and then similarly too near and see what that shows. A better focus result from one of those taken either too far or too near would, I believe, indicate a micro adjustment is in order.

It is not a task I’d undertake, I would use a camera shop or a service centre but some forum members I believe have done it.

just a thought

Ian
      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Working...
      X