Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piston broke.......

..... so am I mate, so am I.

Produced for submission in another place.

Piston broke by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

That seem to have gone though some trauma John, it may make a handy paperweight
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

A bit beyond it me thinks - the piston not the picture!
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Someone's made a right mess of that John, nice lighting though.
        7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Out of interest what caused the damage John?
          Interesting sort of crown shaped rather than flat top piston.
          Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
            Out of interest what caused the damage John?
            Interesting sort of crown shaped rather than flat top piston.
            The piston was in a 2.5 litre Daimler V8 which a pal & I had in our small dragster many years ago. The car was originally built by Mark Stratton and had a 6.5 litre blown engine (Chrysler I think). He sold the car, but kept the engine and the new owner, Dave Prior, fitted the Daimler. On one occasion Dave had to move the car between garages and in the absence of a trailer, drove it down Barnet High Street in London.

Metronome2.jpg

The normal Daimler piston is relatively low compression and more or less flat-topped. It turns out however that the 2.5 V8 was designed by the same chap who designed the engine for the Triumph Bonneville and there is some commonality between them. Whether the Bonneville was 1/4 of a V8, or the V8 was four Bonnevilles, I do not know.

Thus it is that Bonneville pistons (which have a pronounced raised hemisherical head) fit pretty well straight into the Daimler, with the proviso that you need to machine some space into the piston crown to allow for the fact that the valves are mounted at different angles in the cylinder head.

Our problem came when we were testing the engine (along the car park of the Recreational Society at the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment at Aldermaston) and at max revs (circa7,500 rpm) the valve springs went into resonance and started just floating around the valve stem instead of doing their job. As a result, the collets on one valve became dislodged and the valve fell down the hole into the cylinder bore and met the piston coming the other way at high speed.

The engine coughed a bit and then picked back up, but we noticed there was unburnt fuel coming out of one exhaust pipe and the horrible truth became apparent!

We did a lot of work to find and get rid of all the little bits of piston and valve which had been distributed around the inside of the block, had the bore lined, dressed up the head and fitted much stronger (double) valve springs. After that, all was well.

Glory Days!!!
            John Liddle

Comment

Thanks for the background John, I did wonder if it was valve/piston trauma.
              the Dragster looks like it was made to look like Del Boys Reliant Robin
              Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                Thanks for the background John, I did wonder if it was valve/piston trauma.
                the Dragster looks like it was made to look like Del Boys Reliant Robin
                It was actually a special purpose lightweight Bond Bug (qv) body made by the Reliant Co. for Mark Stratton
                John Liddle

Comment

Great picture and fascinating background details.

Says a lot about the quality and standard of engineering that it kept running despite this level of damage...
                  Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
                  X