Red Rose & Spider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Rose & Spider

Took this image in the garden a few months ago after a torrential downpour. Was gently flicking the rose to get rid of some of the droplets, then this spider popped out from the petals.

VERY little PP done, just slight curves and usm sharpen in CS3 (100% 0.2 applied 3 times)

c&c welcomed

Lez

5D2 // 100 f2.8 macro // f18 @ 3.2s // iso 100 // tripod // MLU

Regards
    Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
    7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
    24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Re: Red Rose & Spider

Lez

I like the guest appearance of the spider, but the flower looks past it's best. And it looks rather un-sharp to me, unless I've just had too many glasses of Hawkes Bay.

EDIT: 3.2s, was the wind blowing? is that why it looks a little bleary? The wind has been a real pain this year with flower shots.

Comment

Re: Red Rose & Spider

Hi Lez. Depth Of Focus is always going to be a begger in macro. It looks like the spider is sharp, as is the back part of the rose, but I have trouble with the front of the rose being out of focus. I see you've gone for a large DOF with f18, but don't think it was quite enough. Perhaps if focus had been slightly in front of the spider your aperture choice would have included both the front of the petals and the spider in your Depth Of Focus. Alternatively altering your angle would have placed the spider and some of the front most area in the same plane rendering both sharply. The spider's a bit hight in the frame for me too. I don't mind the manky rose though, it has rich deep colours you wouldn't find in a fresh flower.
      Dave

Comment

Working...
      X