Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smugmug or what for UK

Good afternoon folks,

I've been getting asked recently if there's anywhere people can buy my images.
    i've been reading various sites, however they are all US based and heavily rely on Smugmug for their portfolios and sales of images. I'm a little put off by it based on the reviews from UK based photogs.

Has anyone else found something similar to Smugmug or has had any issues with it being US based?

I love 500px, but people can just buy your image for $2.99 and i'm not too chuffed by that.

I'm only saving my good stuff for sale, not just any old pic I happen to snap. Well planned shots, or photoshoots of people.

Thanks,

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Smugmug or what for UK

I have been using smugmug for about 4 years and can't rate it highly enough - and to be honest I have yet to find anyone that uses it that isn't happy. Especially now they use a UK print lab! I did a little coding on mine so I could use PayPal and print myself (before the UK print lab came along).

There is an option within smug to turn on / off the sales option so you can choose which galleries you want to sell from - rather than 'any old tat' as I do!

At the end of the day you get what you pay for - if you want free expect cr@p. using smug you don't get degraded images, if you choose a large size to view the quality is outstanding (even web view) I could go on about all the pluses and things you could do but I would be here all day.

.DAVID.
    Last edited by David Stallard; 14-02-2013, 06:26.
    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

I also use SmugMug but not, as yet, to try and sell any work. Like David I can't rate them highly enough. At the moment I use it as a website but more importantly as an off site storage for my best images. They have no upload restrictions. They also have a first rate backup service where you can get help almost within minutes. Worth a look at I think.

Dave
      www.trikietowers.com

Comment

Sounds good folks, thanks for replying. I'm thinking of ditching my website, going with smugmug, and using my url and smugmug can server as place to store images and sell the odd few If I want too. :)
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Paul,

I had a DIY site with Zenfolio for a year or so to showcase some of my work and I was well pleased with it.

I have recently paid for another year and I'm in the process of uploading images to it. There is an option on Zenfolio to allow customers to purchase direct from the site, albeit you have to have a Premium Account to make profit.

One issue with this type of website, and I assume Smugmug is the same, is that YOU have to drive traffic to it...

I also upload to Photo4me.com, a UK based company, where I've managed 1 sale so far (I won't be giving up the day job yet).

Photo4me have a great community and forum board similar to this one - and it's free....!

Worth a look.

Dougie.
          ...there is symmetry in chaos....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mosscroft-images/
          http://500px.com/DouglasMcMann/

Comment

I built my site recently using Wordpress - www.leerigby.net - and there are numerous shopping cart options you can easily add if you look around. The WPPA Album Plus plugin I use offers a shopping cart solution but I just never bothered implementing it.
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

All change - smugmug has implemented a 'backwards upgrade' that no one wants and is full of bugs etc - there are pro photographers jumping ship left right and centre - worst hit are those that spent hundreds of hours customising their sites only for the 'new' smug to kill all the work.

I hated the new look etc and when questioned regarding keeping the old layout the reply was basically "sorry no - good luck where ever you decide to go" so I am in the process of migrating to Zenfolio - everything smug used to be and a whole lot more (now I'm in and have had time to look around a bit)

.DAVID.

Comment

Just to put the other side of the story I am really chuffed with the new set up. During the past week I have played around with my site and it now has a completely different look. The changes were easy to make and if you do have a problem their backup service is usually very quick.

So for someone who hasn't done and doesn't want to do a lot of advanced customisation - all that HTML etc. stuff - and just wants a website to display their images and store them away from home SmugMug does the job very well.

By the way your new site looks great David.

Dave

PS Just had an email from SmugMug saying that if anyone wants to keep the old look they can. Possibly too late for some but it shows they do listen and it has only been a week since the launch.
                www.trikietowers.com

Comment

I cannot afford to set up Zenfolio, or smugmug based on the fact that I'd like the pro level accounts to set custom pricing. However, That needs clients, and in order to get clients, you need a portfolio to show new ones.

A vicious circle indeed lol
                  Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

I also use smugmug and I couldn't be happier. I use it for proofing. Selling and hosting images.

Comment

Dave -

Got a different mail from smug, they sorted out a few of my issues and found the 'missing' galleries, I have agreed to go back and have gone 'back to basics' which is what the majority of my customers seem to want. Cory has stayed with Zen though.

.DAVID.

Comment

Glad you are happy now. The site looks good and pages in your galleries fire up really quickly.

Thanks for the update

Dave
                        www.trikietowers.com

Comment

hmmmmm thought about all these in the past ,very nearly went for zenfolio then thought twice based on comments from friends about how time consuming it all was .i have a free account on 500px but find it limiting .
                          like a lot of others i was put off by the changes flickr made and although making a lot of rumbling noises i cancelled my PRO account ,got a refund and stuck with them ,it has proved to be a shrewd move ,i get via flickr lots of pics displayed on bbc nature u.k and bbc nature wales ,also on springwatch and autumnwatch as well,i have had requests via flickr for my pics to be used in magazines and books leading to a couple of barn owl shots appearing in the mail on sunday .
                          my first actual sale was last week again via flickr when a japanese pop group asked for permission to use one of my very old images (shot in eygpt) on a c.d cover sleeve ,i asked for a fee and they paid via paypal immediately ,that helped immensely towards my c/f tripod .

all i can really add is get your work out there put it where others can view it and when it comes together you can make a little money.
                          BTW my lad has also sold a couple of pics off of flickr to , one to a oil company for a very good payment indeed
                          Last edited by the black fox; 14-10-2013, 13:21.

Comment

Yeah the Getty licensing scheme via Flickr can be good, and I do like Flickr. I went with Zenfolio but they are all expensive. Zen was easier to set up than the new Smugmug system. My overall fave would have to be Squarespace.
                            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                            www.campsie.photography

Comment

I built my own website using a wordpress template and found a great gallery plug in. There is a shopping cart function in there but I found it a bit complicated so didn't bother. But with what I've got now it would be pretty easy just to add a Paypal Pay Now button. These Pay Now buttons from paypal can take details such as photo ID, name, email etc.

I don't sell my images but if someone asks for a full resolution one I just drop it into Dropbox and send them a link.
                              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Working...
                              X