what would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what would you do?

Had an email via Flickr regarding one of my photos taken in 2007 (here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/les_co...57625882129763 ) from the St Lucia Tourist Board which appears to be genuine asking if:

"Would you be able to share this photo with the Saint Lucia Tourist Board for use on your various social media channels? Note that full photo credits will be provided to you. Let us know whether this is possible."

Should I just let them use it, ask for a token payment & if so how much, or refuse? Thoughts anyone?
    Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Re: what would you do?

In general I'm against giving stuff away. I suppose it depends on what your own opinion about it is. If you let them use it you could describe yourself as an "internationally published travel photographer". ;-)
    TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Els View Post
      In general I'm against giving stuff away. I suppose it depends on what your own opinion about it is. ;-)
      Agree with this part - but remember that they are trying to attract millions of dollars to the island by making your picture available to the 4 billion people that inhabit this planet- so a hundred quid or so to you looks pretty small beer

David

Comment

In these cases I always ask what they are willing to pay - if they say nothing then you have to way up is it in YOUR interests to let them have it for free. If it was me I would say no - I will give images for free when I have had requests from recognised charities or worthy organisations but not from an organisation seeking to make money and is not prepared to pay you in order to maximise their profits. The only exception is if that organisation has such a brilliant world wide kudos that letting them have it for nothing is very much in your interest. For example, NASA asked if they could use one of my aurora shots as image of the day ( no payment but they would provide an active link for anyone viewing the image on the NASA web site to my own business web site) - in this case I agreed for the use of an image for no payment. This was very much in my own interest because as a result of that exposure I had a fairly large number of orders for use of images in several magazines ( the EOS Magazine being one), books, scientific journals etc - all of which paid me for the use.
        Hope this helps
        James
        James Boardman Woodend
        www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Thanks for the input chaps, I've asked for a payment of £50 just to see what happens. don't suppose i'll hear back from them ;)
          Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

Working...
          X