Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first wedding! How much?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    My first wedding! How much?

    So chums, advice please. Someone I've never met but made contact through my Facebook page has asked if I would be willing to shoot their wedding in June 2016! I explained that I have never done this before and if they are willing to risk it, then so am I? Its very local to me and taking place at a church that I shot last year that was well received.

    Even though its more than a year away, she has asked for a price. She wants roughly 40-50 pictures taken both during the ceremony and the reception. What would I charge? As I'm not a wedding tog and this being my first, I feel I shouldn't charge a silly amount but want enough to cover my time. I suppose they will want me to arrange the prints/album too but so far not asked for that.

    Over to you for your comments and suggestions. In due course, my next post of this subject will be lens, settings etc.
    Alan.

    7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

    Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

    Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

    #2
    Re: My first wedding! How much?

    yeah....go for it ;o)... I've got my one coming up in a couple of months

    I would start by looking at what others are charging and work your fees around that - as for the amount of photos you'll probably take 10x the amount she wants so you can cherry pick down to 40-50 good ones

    you'll need to know if prints are required so you can cost that in along with the album - so start looking
    :- Ian

    5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

    :- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

    Comment


      #3
      Re: My first wedding! How much?

      Originally posted by Tigger View Post
      yeah....go for it ;o)... I've got my one coming up in a couple of months

      I would start by looking at what others are charging and work your fees around that - as for the amount of photos you'll probably take 10x the amount she wants so you can cherry pick down to 40-50 good ones

      you'll need to know if prints are required so you can cost that in along with the album - so start looking
      Thanks for the comments Ian. Good shout re prints etc, I shall ask the lady
      Alan.

      7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

      Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

      Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

      Comment


        #4
        Re: My first wedding! How much?

        I believe there are photographers that offer a wedding for 450.

        I'd go with 300-500 plus prints.....I'm guessing this is going to use up a whole day at the wedding itself and a half day in post processing.

        Have you considered the insurance aspect...some photographers have cover so that the wedding can be re-shot at a later date etc....if you had to pay for that then it should be costed in. I'd recommend getting an agreement in writing stating that you have no such cover and the client accepts the risk....especially as you don't know them as friends.

        I have one in September but its on a friend of the family basis and I'm not taking payment.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

        brianvickersphotography.com

        Comment


          #5
          Re: My first wedding! How much?

          Thanks for your thoughts Brian. I was thinking around the 200 mark plus prints etc as it will be my first. I never considered insurance in case a cock it right up. They are not looking for many to be printed so I can rattle off loads and hopefully bag enough good ones for them. I suspect it will be most of the day but get the impression there won't be loads of people. I really need to meet them to get a full understanding before I commit to a final price.

          Would you shoot RAW and JPEG to cover all bases?
          Alan.

          7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

          Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

          Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

          Comment


            #6
            Re: My first wedding! How much?

            For someone you don't know 200 is way too cheap - considering its probably a day, plus another processing.. If you had to get a plumber in he would charge 60 to walk into the house then another 70 an hour...assuming you found a cheap one !!! - Its like those villas I did and charged 150 and was in and out in an hour and processed an hour later ...

            You really need to be looking around 400 plus prints

            Forget Jpegs - all Raw then if you cock the exposures up you've got more to fall back onto
            :- Ian

            5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

            :- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

            Comment


              #7
              Re: My first wedding! How much?

              I charged 300 for my first wedding last year and they were told that any prints or album were extra and I ended up giving them just short of 200 images and they produced their own album. I wont be charging that little again as it is a lot of work, however it was good experience and I got a lot of images for my portfolio and it has led to more work.
              1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

              Flickr
              Facebook
              www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

              Comment


                #8
                Re: My first wedding! How much?

                Originally posted by Parsen66 View Post
                I was thinking around the 200 mark
                If you don't value your work, why should the customer?

                I am with Tigger

                David

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: My first wedding! How much?

                  Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                  For someone you don't know 200 is way too cheap - considering its probably a day, plus another processing.. If you had to get a plumber in he would charge 60 to walk into the house then another 70 an hour...assuming you found a cheap one !!! - Its like those villas I did and charged 150 and was in and out in an hour and processed an hour later ...

                  You really need to be looking around 400 plus prints

                  Forget Jpegs - all Raw then if you cock the exposures up you've got more to fall back onto
                  Wise words as ever mate, duly noted

                  Originally posted by paulr5604 View Post
                  I charged 300 for my first wedding last year and they were told that any prints or album were extra and I ended up giving them just short of 200 images and they produced their own album. I wont be charging that little again as it is a lot of work, however it was good experience and I got a lot of images for my portfolio and it has led to more work.
                  Yes I'm seeing it as a good experience too. I guess there is a chance I might balls it up so charging low kinda makes that OK

                  Originally posted by CountDavid View Post
                  If you don't value your work, why should the customer?

                  I am with Tigger

                  David
                  Of course you are right David. I will man up and know that I can take a half decent shot, well most the time anyway

                  Thanks all for putting me straight, really appreciate it
                  Alan.

                  7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

                  Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

                  Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: My first wedding! How much?

                    Charge the right price from the beginning, if you balls it up it won't make it any better that it's cheap. I'm going through this with my flyball photos at the moment, and I've concluded that I'm not prepared to give them away in future, if people want them they pay the money.
                    Paul

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: My first wedding! How much?

                      Originally posted by planetc View Post
                      Charge the right price from the beginning, if you balls it up it won't make it any better that it's cheap. I'm going through this with my flyball photos at the moment, and I've concluded that I'm not prepared to give them away in future, if people want them they pay the money.
                      You make an excellent and obvious point Paul, right or wrong, cheap won't improve them.
                      Alan.

                      7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

                      Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

                      Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: My first wedding! How much?

                        You obviously have enough confidence to take it on, that suggests that you are capable enough to make a decent job of it, which means you are worth the money mate.
                        Paul

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: My first wedding! How much?

                          Someone said, (possibly on here) when doing the family shots etc, do take some without anyone present, ie just the background, that way if the family has a falling out later you have an image that you can use to cut and paste over the said person, hence saving lots of photoshopping work later :) sounds like a sound tip to think about :)
                          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: My first wedding! How much?

                            Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                            Someone said, (possibly on here) when doing the family shots etc, do take some without anyone present, ie just the background, that way if the family has a falling out later you have an image that you can use to cut and paste over the said person, hence saving lots of photoshopping work later :) sounds like a sound tip to think about :)
                            Tony, that's a genius idea! And if they do split up and remarry, I wont have to do a reshoot, just a single person and overlay
                            Alan.

                            7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

                            Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

                            Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: My first wedding! How much?

                              Slip a pair of knickers in his pocket on the day, should give you a head start. ;-)
                              Paul

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X