Photos in Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photos in Magazine

I have just had two photographs published in the latest ‘Heritage Railway’ magazine and got £40 for them! I know its not a massive amount of money but for me every penny counts.

Its always worth sending a photo to a magazine with all its details etc, you never no if you will be the lucky one and get it published.

Photo 1 by Colin Wallace, on Flickr

Photo 2 by Colin Wallace, on Flickr

Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Well done Colin I had one published last year in the EOS magazine,it's a nice feeling isn't it?

Comment

Well done Colin.

Bill.
      7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Two good shots Colin, but I would not be happy with £40. Was that your agreed fee or was it just what they sent you. I used to write a weekly Wildlife Column which I always complemented with pictures. I still do write the odd one, in fact I'm in the process of doing one at the moment. I have an agreed fee with the publishers of £75 per picture and they remain my copyright plus additional fee for each article up to 500 words.
        I know someone who sends pictures to his local news paper, they print them, he gets not a penny for them, they sell the news paper. I think he just likes to see his name in the paper. I don't think anyone should be prepared to see their pictures published without a decent remuneration.
        Last edited by Trev B; 17-04-2020, 12:02.
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Very well done Colin, but I fully endorse Trev's comments. I used to get that sort of fee 40 years ago and then is was nearly twice the average weekly pay.
          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
            Very well done Colin, but I fully endorse Trev's comments. I used to get that sort of fee 40 years ago and then is was nearly twice the average weekly pay.
            I feel quite strongly about this and it annoys me when people are prepared to let pictures go for nowt, thus inflating the profits of the publications owner's, and in some cases the picture editor's commission!
            Other than what I previously mention regarding articles I write and illustrate, I get request from time to time for pictures from a regional newspaper plus a county based magazine. My fee to them is considerably more than £75 and they are happy to pay it.
            Someone mentioned that it made them feel good when there pictures are published. The only time I feel good when any of mine are published is when the cheque falls through the letter box
            Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
              Two good shots Colin, but I would not be happy with £40. Was that your agreed fee or was it just what they sent you. I used to write a weekly Wildlife Column which I always complemented with pictures. I still do write the odd one, in fact I'm in the process of doing one at the moment. I have an agreed fee with the publishers of £75 per picture and they remain my copyright plus additional fee for each article up to 500 words.
              I know someone who sends pictures to his local news paper, they print them, he gets not a penny for them, they sell the news paper. I think he just likes to see his name in the paper. I don't think anyone should be prepared to see their pictures published without a decent remuneration.
              Over the past 10 years I have had quite a few railway photos published in magazines, some magazines pay £15 and others £20 per photo. Back in 2018 I had one of my photos on the front cover of the 'Heritage Railway' magazine and got £50 for it.

Heritage Railway Magazine by Colin Wallace, on Flickr

Sometimes one of my railway friends gets his odd photo published and gets the same amount of money. So I take it that I could not get anymore money per photo. For me this money is OK due to not working because of medical problems.
              Last edited by Colin W; 18-04-2020, 17:06.

Comment

Well done Colin.

Tom

Comment

Excellent Colin well deserved.
                  Gary Cantwell LSINWP. ASINWP.

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                    Well done Colin.

Tom
                    Thank you Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by leeperry View Post
                      Excellent Colin well deserved.
                      Thank you! I have the magazine cover in a frame up on the wall.

Comment

And justifiably too, well done
                        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                        X