HELP--- 600D Movie mode question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP--- 600D Movie mode question

I have just bought a Canon EOS 600D, and I love it already. It is my first DSLR and I am trying to learn all about it.

When I put it into movie mode, half press the shutter button to focus, then press the button to start recording, it records for about 5 seconds then stops. On screen I get a message " movie recording was stopped automatically ".

Can anyone tell me if this is because of something I have set wrong or is it a fault? It does it every time. Have looked in the manual and as far as I can see , I have done it correctly. Obviously if it is a fault, I need to get it changed.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    John

Re: HELP--- 600D Movie mode question

Hi John,
    I'm still learning to use my 600D, so I may not be a lot of help. Select the 'Movie' mode on the dial and then press the menu button to look at the settings. Scroll right to the 2nd menu, then check that the 'Video snapshot' is set to 'Disable'.

Other than trying that, I'm not sure what to suggest. What size and speed of SD card do you have?
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Hi Andy and thanks for the quick reply.

I think you got it with the speed of the SD card. Just been looking and it looks like the SD card they gave me with the camera is a Class 4 and it needs Class 6 or more.
      Just ordered a Class 10 so hopefully that will sort it.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi,

I have had a 600D for almost a year now, love it - but all ready want a 7D or 5D - not because there is anything wrong with the 600, I have just got more into it and well, that is what happens....

But not done much with movie mode as I find it hard to focus, auto focus is a no no as it is way too noisey.

However, on manual focus, once you get the hang of it, it is really quite good.

My memory card is a scandisk 8GB, 15 mb/sec and in a circle is a big number 4 - so I am guessing it is a class 4?

I had the same error message, but, I had a lot of images on the card, so I deleted them (to free up space) and the movie mode worked just fine.

After reading your post, I just tried again, I have a number of images (about 35) on the card at the moment - I just started videoing and let it run for 2 minutes with no problems, turned it off as I got bored. It had recorded fine, I went to the settings and put the movie 'size' up tothe max and repeated the test, again worked fine with no errors

So, my class 4 (if that is what it is) seems to be no barrier to movies, but a card woth a lot of images, and therefore less space, seems to be an issue. I am sure I read somewhere that the camera will give you the " movie recording was stopped automatically " message if there is insufficient space left on the card.

don't know if that helps

Ian
        EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

I have a 16 gig SD card in and the first time I tried movie mode I did have quite a few pics on it, but I have tried it with a clean formatted card and I still get it. Only ever records wor about 5 seconds.

Just ordered a 32 gig Class 10 SD card so will see if it still does it then, I will take it back. Don't think I'll take much video with it but at the price of these camera's, I want everything to work.

I will post the result here when I get the new card.

Thanks
          John

Comment

Also I did find that message in the manual, and it said that it requires Class 6 or more for HD video recording.

Comment

yep, you are correct, I just found it too, the first sentence in the movie section! - wonder how I missed that

but, as I say it seems to work fine on my '4'???

I have not really tried anything longer than acouple of minutes though - and have only just tonight, after reading a bit more, realized how to use the digital zoom!

Think I am sticking to stills.

Ian
              EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Some cards claim higher ratings than they can sustain , also there are bogus ones out there .
                If in doubt buy a good make from a shop .

If I get a chance I will check on my 550d this week and post anything I found .

Comment

I know this is an old topic, but it's got nothing to do with the SD card speed, as I have been using a class 10 card 32Gb from Sandisk since I got the 600D and it still does this really annoying thing.
                  Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

I'm not so sure Paul. I read somewhere that not all SD cards are as described, can you run a speed test with yours?

I bought a SanDisk Extreme HD Video 30MB/s (16GB) and it's been great so far.
                    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Working...
                    X