Any suggestions for smooth panning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any suggestions for smooth panning?

I'm using a manfrotto 290 series tripod and it isn't great. I also have IS on.
    Is there anything else I can use (off camera stuff e.g.; stuff I can do with the tripod) to get a smooth pan?

I'm working on a project for college, I have this so far. www.youtube.com/watch?v=yowIS4KDTe0

Damian

Re: Any suggestions for smooth panning?

Without looking at your YT clip, the best way to achieve smooth panning is by practising, practising, practising; and not using your tripod with IS switched on.
    Bob Turner
    Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Damian, having looked at you YT video you have IMHO no panning sequences in it, you have one short sequence where the camera is moving at an angle to the path of travel for the cyclist.

Do you really mean panning as in rotating the camera on a pivot point to follow action or do you mean that the whole camera moves as if it is on rails to allow smooth and even movement. If you want the latter the only way I know of doing it is to set up some rails and a simple dolly then pull the camera along with a piece of rope or borrow one of the body supports that the professional film / TV photographers use, alterantively as Bob said above practice and practice until you are confident that you can move the camera smoothly and evenly.

If you do mean panning as I understand it I personally don't like using a tripod as i find that I get much better control by hand holding the camera. If you want to pan without a tripod then hold the camera tightly, brace your elbows into your sides / waist and rotate your upper body at the waist without moving your arms or head, if you want a short video sequence then I would start filming before the piece you need and continue filming past the bit you want, if it is stills keep rotating after you have taken the shots. Much of the camera shake / blurred images come from when you simply stop moving having taken the shot you want, if you think about it a golfer or tenis player always follow through after they hit the ball, panning is the same you need to follow through.

I don't know if this ramble has helped but good luck with your project.

Comment

Sorry, should have mentioned I haven't done it yet as I can't get it right. I've done stuff with a slider which is what you see in the video.

I'll give that tip a go and see how I get on, thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X