Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eos 550d audio problem.Help needed!!!

HI,
    Every time I film with my canon eos 550d, the sound fades for a micro second whenever I zoom in and out. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! Some people suggest that it could be my sdhc card,but its a CLASS 10.Although not a sansdisk,its from a company called photofast. Its really noticeable when you film something where there is a lot of background noise etc.The audio is fine on playback but when the camera is zooming in and out it faded with it for a micro second.PLEASE ADVISE!!!!!!!!!You can see for your self.Just type in maccarthaigh1122 in youtube and check out my waterfall clip. Thanks in advance

Re: eos 550d audio problem.Help needed!!!

Hello damoirish; and welcome to the forum...

I suspect that you won't get much in the way of feedback for this... The 550D is still a 'new' model and 'video' is still a 'new' feature for most...

My guess is that you will be better off posting this question to Canon direct.

Good luck...
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by damoirish View Post
      HI,
      Every time I film with my canon eos 550d, the sound fades for a micro second whenever I zoom in and out. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! Some people suggest that it could be my sdhc card,but its a CLASS 10.Although not a sansdisk,its from a company called photofast. Its really noticeable when you film something where there is a lot of background noise etc.The audio is fine on playback but when the camera is zooming in and out it faded with it for a micro second.PLEASE ADVISE!!!!!!!!!You can see for your self.Just type in maccarthaigh1122 in youtube and check out my waterfall clip. Thanks in advance
      Sorry to be a wet blanket and rather unhelpful but I have always held the view that you should use a proper video camera to film and the advent of the new two in one cameras have NOT altered my view. One can't be both fish and fowl at the same time.It also complicates the normal photographing capabilities of good still cameras when you add on other bits and pieces, which over time tends to cause trouble.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
        Sorry to be a wet blanket and rather unhelpful but I have always held the view that you should use a proper video camera to film and the advent of the new two in one cameras have NOT altered my view. One can't be both fish and fowl at the same time.It also complicates the normal photographing capabilities of good still cameras when you add on other bits and pieces, which over time tends to cause trouble.
        Which EOS camera have you used which has led to this conclusion? It certainly seems to be at odds with the feedback from pro photographers who are using the EOS movie mode for commercial films and television. And I have not seen any reviews which suggest that the still capabilities of the cameras have been compromised by the addition of the movie mode.

I don't think your 'fish and fowl' analogy holds water. Movies are simply a series of still images, so the camera is only doing what it is designed to do, only faster.
        Robert
        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by damoirish View Post
          HI,
          Do you have more than one zoom lens, and if so do you get the problem with all of them?
          Robert
          robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
            Which EOS camera have you used which has led to this conclusion? It certainly seems to be at odds with the feedback from pro photographers who are using the EOS movie mode for commercial films and television. And I have not seen any reviews which suggest that the still capabilities of the cameras have been compromised by the addition of the movie mode.

I don't think your 'fish and fowl' analogy holds water. Movies are simply a series of still images, so the camera is only doing what it is designed to do, only faster.
            I am happy to note what you have said. I use a 450d with the 350d as a fall back. Most probably I will go in for either the 7d or the 550d because of better technology like the DIGIC 4 processor and the 18 Mega pixels but certainly not for their movie capabilities but simply for still photography. I might change my mind but for the moment I will use my video camera for movie pictures- I always take mine with me along with the still cameras. I have also wondered why stills have not been added in a big way to video cameras in the same way as movie functions to still cameras. Just an observation!
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Does the 550D have an external microphone input? I am using a Rode stereo video microphone with my 7D and have no problem with sound. If it's possible on your camera I would always recomend you use an external.....
              EOS 1DX, EOS 5D mkiii, EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f4 L USM, EF 24-70mm f2.8 L II USM, EF 70-200mm f2.8 L II IS USM, EF 50mm f1.2 L, EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro USM, Speedlite 580EX

Comment

I have also wondered why stills have not been added in a big way to video cameras in the same way as movie functions to still cameras. Just an observation!
                Hi Nathaniel;

I have a 10 year old - very underused - Sony Camcorder that can capture stills! So the technology has been there for a long time!
                Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

To rule out the card I guess you could reduce the quality of the recorded image and try that? That would mean less data being written to the card but thinking about it, if it were the card you would expect to get the problem all the time even without zooming

Does the 550D have some sort of auto volume control? Perhaps the noise of the zoom is causing the camera to adjust the recording volumes momentarily? Like when speaking to someone in a call centre, when they go quiet it sometimes sounds like you've been cut off as the phone system detects just background noise and mutes it until the person speaks up again.

Just a thought!
                  “Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.” John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
                    Hi Nathaniel;

I have a 10 year old - very underused - Sony Camcorder that can capture stills! So the technology has been there for a long time!
                    Thank you for that. I know you could take stills with video cameras and camcorders, but are they used in a big way as the movie modes in still cameras like the 7d. I thought that the still pictures on video cameras were just a small,by product of the video camera whereas the movie modes in the newer DSLR's are expected or are playing a very big part.

Anyway, I am resigned to the fact that all newer DSLR's will have the movie function whether you like it or not but depends on each individual as to how much or what use one makes of it. As I am comfortable with my Camcorder ,I will continue to use it even if I upgrade my 350d to either the 550d or 7d because of the advanced technology- DIGIC 4 ,18 megapixels etc.

Comment

I know you could take stills with video cameras and camcorders, but are they used in a big way as the movie modes in still cameras like the 7d.
                      Hi Nathaniel;

We're in danger of going through the same discussion again...

I think the answer to your question is simple - advancing technology overtook the facility... and now we will see technology overtaking again...

Things change and evolve... Video on still's is here to stay... It's already been around (in one form or another) for at least 6/7 years on Point & Shoot compacts...

Comment

Hello Nathaniel

Although I am often at the forefront of embracing new technology, I was very much in your camp regarding the cross-over technology in cameras. I wanted my camera to take stills, my mobile phone to make telephone calls and if I ever wanted video, I would buy a video camera. I even considered "Live View" as a sop to entice the point and shoot brigade into using real cameras. Try using live view with a 500mm hand held!!!

However, I have used live view for macro and for micro-adjusting my lenses, where the magnification settings are very useful, but I still didn't see the need for video. Until a recent trip on the Norfolk Broads where my friend decided to shoot some video of our boat cruising around with some of the wildlife in the scene. I obviously took the mickey and strongly suggested he wasn't a proper photographer etc., but he carried on shooting.

Later that evening I was eating pie ............... of the humble variety, as we reviewed his video on the laptop! It really did capture the essence of our trip, much more than a series of individual photographs could ever do and I was astounded at the quality. Whilst I am not yet in missionary mode, intent on converting the whole world to video, I am at least open to giving video a go when the right opportunity presents itself.

Colin
                        Colin

Comment

I have also wondered why stills have not been added in a big way to video cameras in the same way as movie functions to still cameras
                          Because consumer camcorders use a small sensor which is fine for video but not great for still images. DSLR cameras, on the other hand, have large sensors which are great for still images and video. It is this large sensor, together with interchangeable lenses, which is attracting the attention of professional film makers.
                          Robert
                          robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                            Whilst I am not yet in missionary mode, intent on converting the whole world to video, I am at least open to giving video a go when the right opportunity presents itself. Colin
                            Hi Colin;

I am wholly with you on this subject... Video is not something that I would naturally use. I find it hard enough to take a decent still image - it's a thousand times harder to take a decent video! (My under-used CamCorder is testament to that!)

As I've said before, if it's there, I can certainly see situations where I might use it... But it still won't be the 'deciding factor' for when I next upgrade; that decision will be made wholly on the strength of the still capabilities...

Just like my mobile; All I like to do is to make calls on it (and maybe the odd text), but I don't use the camera for still or video clips; neither do I use the 'Contact Manager' or 'Diary Features' or 'Web Surfing' etc. etc. etc. But they are there if ever I DID need to use them for anything!

Gotta love the constant march of technology... problem is I'm having an increasingly difficult time keeping up with it all...

Cheers & beers...

Comment

Thanks, Robert,Colin,CF. I am now beginning to understand a bit more. As I also progress in the digital photgraphic world, I will fall in line,perhaps not in a big way with movies on Still cameras, but for perhaps the occasional use. I can't predict what I will do if and when I come across some event that would be better recorded on video, and whether I will instinctly go for my camcorder or the movie functiion on the DSLR- I hope to get one within the next 2-3 months.

As with most of my generation (!!!!) , I find that modern, advancing technology always puts me back so far behind that it is always a case of "catch up" for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X