EOS550D movie played with Windows 64 bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS550D movie played with Windows 64 bit

I was wondering if anyone has encountered any problems with playing 550D movies on Windows 7 64 bit?

I have just taken delivery of my 550D and shot my first movie on Tuesday. It played back beautifully on the camera itself but when I played it on my laptop, it was full of colour noise horizontal lines.

I spoke to Canon support and they suggested using the player VLC instead of Windows Media. This did the trick. So I investigated further and found that the movie played OK my works PC with Windows Media. Comparing my laptop to my works PC...

Both run Windows 7 but my works PC is Professional 32 bit whereas my laptop is Ultimate 64 bit
    Both are running Windows Media 12.0.7600.16415

On speaking to a couple of guys more knowledgeable than me, the likely issue is the 64 bit operating system.

Has anyone else seen this issue or can anyone explain further?

Re: EOS550D movie played with Windows 64 bit

I haven't got the 550D but recently shot some video on my 1D MKIV and had no problems watching through windows media player on Windows 7 Pro x64, not that this helps you. Now from what I understand the movie format Canon use is the MOV format which I believe is an Apple Quicktime format, now I have QuickTime installed so this may be the reason why my video played fine in windows media player.

Comment

Hi Glen,

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated.

Took your advice and installed the latest version of Quicktime. Movie plays OK in Quicktime but still same issue in Windows Media v12. However, I notice that your version of Windows is Professional, whereas mine is Ultimate - can't see that being the issue but you never know!

Since posting I have spoken to a colleague who is a Mac man through and through and he did confirm that the format is indeed Apple. I'm off to the Canon Pro day in Southampton today so may be I might get a definitive answer.

Cheers

William

Comment

I had a similar problem with video from my 5D MkII on my PC running Win7 64 bit. The problem was purly down to memory on the outdated graphics card. Changed the card and problems solved. The issue only came about when I run HD video.

A IT friend of mine highlighted that this is a common problem with many PC's graphic cards not being man enough to support HD movie.

Slàinte,

Malkie
        Slàinte,

Malkie

I would be grateful for all constructive comments both good and not so good. I wont bite

Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

Comment

Hi Malkie,

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I don't think it is the graphics card. My laptop is new and highly spec ed: Intel i7 CPU, 6GB ram and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 1GB graphics card. If this isn't beefy enough then I think there would be many, many PCs out there that would not work!

Interestingly, I went to the LCE Pro Canon event at Southampton today. One of the Canon guys there had his laptop and so we tried a movie shot on my 550D - it played perfectly. He suggested that I download Shark 007 codex - I did and it still doesn't work! So far, several people have confirmed that they can play 550D movies on Windows 64 bit. The Canon guy at Southampton was running Windows 7 64 bit - but in all cases where it has worked it has been the Professional version of windows 7. I am running the Ultimate version - this really is the only difference.

I have no idea why the Ultimate should be different to the Professional - hopefully someone out there may be able to shed some light on this?

Comment

Ultimate is Professional plus a few extras. This is unlikely to be the problem - unless it is one of the extras
            ef-r

Comment

Hi Brian,

I totally agree - I also think it unlikely. However, until I can get a definitive answer from someone who has tried it on Ultimate, this seems to be the only possibility. The same movie file plays on my laptop using VCL and Quicktime - conclusion from this is that it is not a fault with the laptop. The same movie file plays OK on Windows 7 Professional 32 bit and 64 bit and Windows 7 Premium 32 bit. The only configuration it hasn't worked on so far is Windows Ultimate 64 bit!

Comment

I am running Ultimate - can you post a small clip and I will try for you

Brian
                ef-r

Comment

Hi Brian,

Many thanks indeed for your offer. I would very much like to send you a clip but unfortunately, even a 5 second clip zipped is too large to upload here.

If you're happy to send me your email address I will send the file to you directly. My address is: wrbell@btinternet.com

This 12s clip plays perfectly on the 550D, and the laptop (Windows Ultimate 64 bit) with VLC and Quicktime but not Windows Media.

Comment

email sent
                    ef-r

Comment

Working...
                    X