Advice to a non technical person

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice to a non technical person

Hello, All you experts! I have a 550d and the movie pics I can view easily on the camera's own LCD screen. I am not an expert on transferring or connecting my camera to the TV or PC and so on. Would you therefore suggest that the best way for me to view movie pics from the 550d is to load it (SD card) on my PC and then burn it on to a recordable DVD and watch it on my TV via the DVD player? I am very new to the movie side of DSLR's having always used a Camcorder before.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Advice to a non technical person

Can you play it through a cable from the camera to the tv?
    ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
      Can you play it through a cable from the camera to the tv?
      Yes, I can but I would prefer to "moth ball" my camera i.e keep it snugly in the camera bag unless I am taking photographs, and transfer it via a DVD if that is possible. I use a separate memory card (bit of bind) when I am filming- not very often as you'd imagine, so that I don't mix my stills and movies on the same memory card.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Can you not use your USB cable to transfer the movie to your files then onto a dvd?
        I dont have movie on my 40d so im only guessing.

Coda
        There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Thats a thought Coda. Thanks. I will try it. Progress (new fangled things) are always a set back for me, till I overcome the initial inertia.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
            I have a 550d and the movie pics I can view easily on the camera's own LCD screen. I am not an expert on transferring or connecting my camera to the TV or PC and so on. Would you therefore suggest that the best way for me to view movie pics from the 550d is to load it (SD card) on my PC and then burn it on to a recordable DVD and watch it on my TV via the DVD player? I am very new to the movie side of DSLR's having always used a Camcorder before.
            Hi Nathaniel;

I thought you were dead against having movie mode on a SLR (he said tongue-in-cheek !)

I knew you'd use it!

Cheers...
            I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
            Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

HI! CF. Glad to hear from you as I did wonder where you were. Very quiet for some time. Well,I have no choice re movies as all the newer camera's have this feature. So it is a case of "like it or lump it".However the only time I use it with an SLR is when there is a "moving subjet" like a belly dancer, Morris dancers or street dancers.....etc. The main drawback for me is that I prefer to change the memory card for such photography & this takes a bit of time. I'd have liked two card slots- one for stills and one for movies. Anyway,as even big brother 7d, has only one card slot,who am I complain? Having said that when I am aware in advance what I am going to see, I'd take my Camcorder.

Comment

Combination of work, a short vacation, and more work! Life's a bitch!
                I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
                Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

CF,

Work has it's compensations. I come to the end of my line on 31st July. But having thought hard on a permanent holiday, I might do something else for say 2 days in the week.

Comment

Nathaniel ... you ask a very good question ... and not one that is answered very well in the Canon Domain ... basically because it depends upon what TV you have. My telly vendor Pansonic doesn't publish anything about how to do this!! Very poor really. It's all very techical because of this you are into Codecs/encoding methods, structured (or flat) filesystems etc. I eventually I had buy software (couldn't find free stuff that was any good and would do the job) and can now burn DVDs or record to SD cards without the need to plug my 7D into my telly. Also works on my Panasonic BluRay box. [The TV has an SD slot. The BluRay player a DVD/BR slot and a SD slot].

See this thread I posted a while back http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/sh...nic-Viera-HDTV

You'll need all that spare time ... as processing video on a 'normal' PC is s-l-o-w at times.

HTH
                    Last edited by MX5; 31-07-2010, 17:25.

Comment

Thanks MX5. Your link is a great help. I presume, since I use a separate SD card (call it the EOS SD movies) for movies on the EOS,I can insert this in directly into my TV slot, without creating a new SD card?
                      I also don't know whether the SD movie card used on the EOS after being inserted into the TV can be then re-used on my EOS 550d without any "corruption" within the camera.Something tells me that it might be,with hindsight,better to create a new SD card as suggested in your link for TV reviews only and keep on transferring images to this card from the EOS SD movies card) as you continue taking EOS movies.This way I hope there will not be any "cross contamination" between the SD cards.

It is this sort of messing around with the EOS movies that puts me off this area as an important feature of the new generation of DSLR's coming into the market.

P.S Very briefly I like to keep what I insert in to my camera totally separate from "inserting" it (i.e the SD cards) into other "technological" devices.
                      Last edited by Nathaniel; 31-07-2010, 18:52.

Comment

No ... an SD card taken out of an EOS will not play movies on some (e.g. Panasonic) TV's. You have to copy the SD .MOV files to an intermediate storage (your PC's hard disk) and using the technique I used create an altogether different SD for Just the TV.

So in your case (if I'm understanding correctly) you'll have THREE SD cards:
                        1. One for EOS Stills
                        2. One for EOS Movies
                        3. One for processed EOS Movies for playing on the TV (This one never sees the inside of your EOS)

That clear?

Comment

Thank you very much MX5. I am quite clear now.That removes a lot of cobwebs/hesitancy from my mind.

Comment

Working...
                          X