Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7D video problems or just limitations ?

Ha Haaa....

I have Just been playing the 7D video function.
    When I want to adjust the aperture or shutterspeed the mic picks up the sound of the clicks of the dials. In addition to this, you look at the captured video your can see the stepping up or down in darkness or brightness.

I was thinking that on a camcorder these controls are electronic touch buttons to there is no clicking recorded and exposure adjustments are smooth rather the jerky adjustement I have described above.

What am I doing wrong – or is this just a limitation, or is there an auto focus and auto exposure mode I should be using ?

Trev

Re: 7D video problems or just limitations ?

Use an external directional mike you can get ones those go in the hot shoe (there are quite compact ones). I would if I was going to do lots of video. RØDE (Click) seem popular (so I'm told).

I've only played with video on my 7D ... but noticed this (recording clicks). Isn't it manual focus only in video ?? I'm trying to remember. But I used M, Tv and Av.

I did play with one of these Zoom h4n ... what a very nice toy
    Last edited by MX5; 29-06-2011, 14:49.

Comment

The 5D2 is the same.
      As MX5 says, an external mike will do the trick

Mike
      www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Thanks for the info MX5 and Mike

I'm not gong to be shooting anything too fancy.

Maybe moving seacapes or music videos were I can set the thing up 'prior to' and just let it sit on a tripod for a minute or three
        I wanted to see what a movie using shallow DOF on a person looked like too.
        I can't see me using this a lot TBH.

Trev

Comment

Someone's bringing some radio mics to try.

Shot some video clips with the 7D and 70-200 F2.8L - Wowsers it's something else !! The level of detail is scary, and those cool OOF backgrounds.

Trev

Comment

Will we be seeing the outcome?
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
              Will we be seeing the outcome?
              I doubt it Di

Trev

Comment

Yes limitations but the quality of the video is superb. The step up/down in brightness is not as smooth as an auto exposure camera but with some good editing you wouldn't notice (depends what yopu are shooting) I can see it being tricky in changing conditions.
                5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

The step up/down in brightness is not as smooth as an auto exposure camera
                  I have since discovered auto exposure mode.I had it in manual - like a plonker :-))

When you hit the back af button its AFs, but the sound captured sounds funny, bit like a old fashined car starting.

I have bought a hdmi to mini hdmi cable for watching my exploits on the telly. I've been suing the very basic in camera edit control.

I get to try the wireless mics tomorrow, or Thursday, but apart from that I'm going to shelve the video capers for a while.

Trev

Comment

Nice to take a clip or two
                    5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                      Ha Haaa....
                      I have Just been playing the 7D video function.
                      When I want to adjust the aperture or shutterspeed the mic picks up the sound of the clicks of the dials. In addition to this, you look at the captured video your can see the stepping up or down in darkness or brightness. I was thinking that on a camcorder these controls are electronic touch buttons to there is no clicking recorded and exposure adjustments are smooth rather the jerky adjustement I have described above.What am I doing wrong – or is this just a limitation, or is there an auto focus and auto exposure mode I should be using ? Trev
                      The RØDE mic looks nice on this 60D it will also look nice on yours
                      Attached Files
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelkphotowork/

Comment

Cheers for the pic, the kit I was using was a bit nicer than that LOL

Sony radio mics with a receiver on the camera.

Trev

Comment

Working...
                        X