Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "My First Movie"

Originally posted by Moushu View Post
    I had cause this time 4 years ago to replace in fact 2 PCs at home, for myself, wife, and daughter. And decided to Get A Mac.
    So you missed Win7? - still waiting for a BSoD, bizarre operating behaviour, viruses, endless updates, bugs, security loopholes etc in the 2 years I have been running it. Simple precautions, like a decent firewall and good hardware eliminates all the issues you mentioned.

I nothing against a Mac - just that there is nothing in Win7 that would make me want to change.
    ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
      So you missed Win7? - still waiting for a BSoD, bizarre operating behaviour, viruses, endless updates, bugs, security loopholes etc in the 2 years I have been running it. Simple precautions, like a decent firewall and good hardware eliminates all the issues you mentioned.

I nothing against a Mac - just that there is nothing in Win7 that would make me want to change.
      I have Win7 imposed on me at work thanks. Yes, it's a big improvement on what went before. However, it really does feel like Mac OSX in the Leopard days, ie. 4+ years ago.
      I'm not trying to convince you to change Brian, but I am pointing out to whoever's interested, eg. Celtex, that it's a perfectly viable and achievable option these days.
      But seriously, I've seen enough "OS Wars" in my time to know that they don't go anywhere & nobody budges, so I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Comment

Actually I would recommend that Mac users should stay on Macs rather than move to Windows just for one app. Rather like moving from Canon to Nikkon because Canon lens are white.

I have been programming Windows for 20 years - clearly a move to a Mac would not make sense I remember using the Xerox Star which Apple cloned into the Mac and the early Sun/OS which was different again.

Personally I couldn't care less what operating system people use - it is their choice.
        ef-r

Comment

Oops,

I did not mean to satrt an OS war!

Actually I have windows 7 and really like it. ( I liked Vista when I first had it, honest - but it did not take long before update after update it ground to a halt on 2 machines) 7 is light years better than Vista and it has taken much longer for the update thing to happen, but happen it has, slowly but surely it is becoming slow and difficult. I clean the machine regularly, defrag regulary etc but the more software I add the slower it gets.

There are some great things about 7 that I would miss - like the auto sizing of windows to half a screen - I use this every day with spreadsheets.

But, I am also a long time iphone user, my [very lucky] duagther has an ipad, I just upgraded my trusty iphone 3g (not even S) which was still working fine, to a 4s - and love it.

I have only ever met one person who has made the change to mac from windows and regretted it, everyone else would never go back (I think there is a small amount of having to take this view to justify their actions for sure) but generally people are happy with the decision they make.

For me, I think the lure of the Mac is finally going to win me over, design, looks, maybe just wanting to try something different next time after many years with windows and lots of frustrations.

Add to this my new-found (or born again) interest in photography, a passing interest in recording music, the clarity of the mac screen, plus my business partner in Australia has switched and well - I just want one.

There, not a very logical decision process, but an honest one

Now to just accumulate the big pile of pennies needed!
          EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Originally posted by celtex View Post
            Oops,

I did not mean to satrt an OS war!
            Not an OS war as I am indifferent - PC is just a tool as is a Mac or a Linux PC. Just think of the glass you could buy instead of a Mac .......

PS My Win 7 hasn't slowed after 2 years - supprised to hear that yours has. Could be the SSD C: drive I suppose
            ef-r

Comment

[QUOTE=. Could be the SSD C: drive I suppose [/QUOTE]

You see there is the problem, you know what that means! therefore you could do something about it :-)

I will be with windows for a while longer yet - and yes, it is a lot more to fork out (when I desperately need to get my first speedlight)

Actually I'll get the speedlight, the Mac will be later (could be chasing rainbows here) - one day...........

Comment

My big disappointment with my imac was iworks, says it's compatible with office, em no it's not. I started all my college research on pages, to discover it could not be read on college version of office. I had to buy office for mac, but having said that I do enjoy using my imac for photoshop stuff.

Oh and I do like your video Mouchu, having never used the video on my 7d or 5d mkII it was inspirational.

John

Comment

Originally posted by celtex View Post
                  You see there is the problem, you know what that means! therefore you could do something about it :-)
                  When I built my PC I put the best components that were available at the time:

Core 2 duo @3ghz
                  8Gb Ram
                  GEforce 880 graphics card with dual DVI - with (now 2 24" screens)
                  64gb SSD C:
                  1Tb D:
                  External 1Tb local USB Backup drive

PC is nearly 4 years old and still going strong without a hitch.

My web, eMail and db servers are even older but still well up to their job.

Look at all the old cameras still delivering out there - 400/450D, 40D, 5D still producing great photos.
                  ef-r

Comment

When I built my PC I put the best components that were available at the time:

Core 2 duo @3ghz
                    8Gb Ram
                    GEforce 880 graphics card with dual DVI - with (now 2 24" screens)
                    64gb SSD C:
                    1Tb D:
                    External 1Tb local USB Backup drive

PC is nearly 4 years old and still going strong without a hitch.

My web, eMail and db servers are even older but still well up to their job.

Look at all the old cameras still delivering out there - 400/450D, 40D, 5D still producing great photos.
                    well that is way over the spec of my 2 year old toshiba laptop that have on pretty much all the time, I use it for work and everyting else, I have killed the battery, some of the letters have worn off the keys and there is now so much software on it that there is little space left - I am sure I could speed it a up a little (with some help from my Windows expert friend) but I think it is time to replace it whatever direction I go - I just felt I would try Mac this time.

Comment

I have an Acer laptop that I use for tethered shooting.

Is it possible to do movies in tethered mode? I quite fancy the idea of doing some SloMo with the 7D
                      ef-r

Comment

I have an Acer laptop that I use for tethered shooting.

Is it possible to do movies in tethered mode? I quite fancy the idea of doing some SloMo with the 7D
                        Can't answer that, I can say that hd movies do not run smoothly on my Tosh (but it is a Centrino Duo 1.6 with 4 GB ram and win 7 32 bit)

I bought what I thought would be a perfectly adequate laptop for my daughter, she has a small samsung video camera capable of shooting 1080 p - the one I got her was a new HP Pavilion Dv6 with a new i3 processor (forget the speed but it is 2. something) - a really nice laptop in every way - every thing flies on it - except any movie over 720 p

seems you have to buy really top end processors to be able to cope with the latest video recording - unless there are some tweaks I could make that I do not know about

Comment

My laptop is a Core i5 2.6ghz with 6GB Ram - should be enough
                          ef-r

Comment

Working...
                          X