"My Second Movie" ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"My Second Movie" ;)

Finally got some decent weather over the weekend to get some additional footage for a new experimental filmlet, this time trying to capture some Autumn scenes. So, here's the film:

I'm sure you spotted the digital noise in some of the shadows: this didn't show up in the playback on the camera, so I didn't realise it was going to be an issue. Basically, I think what happened was the ISO was high because I was I wanting to use a small aperture. And maybe shooting at 50fps might have contributed too.
    So it seems I might have found another limitation to be aware of - or maybe I should spring for an f1.2 lens

Re: "My Second Movie" ;)

Another great film, certainly gives people inspiration to go out and give it ago themselves.

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Excellent again, really enjoyed your clip. Hope you did some stills as well. Just a little shaky on some of the pans but I suppose a good rig costs a fortune these days. Great stuff, thanks.
      Cheers
      Treff

Comment

Originally posted by Treff View Post
        Excellent again, really enjoyed your clip. Hope you did some stills as well. Just a little shaky on some of the pans but I suppose a good rig costs a fortune these days. Great stuff, thanks.
        Cheers
        Treff
        No, no stills - was totally in a "movie" mindset...
        Yes, my panning technique suffers when I get distracted, but also I'm using a 30-year-old tripod with its original head, which most definitely isn't a video head - think I might be having a word with that Santa bloke.....

Comment

The second movie clip is not as good as your first one. I am more convinced that a Camcorder is a far better option.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
            The second movie clip is not as good as your first one. I am more convinced that a Camcorder is a far better option.
            From a technical or artistic perspective, or both!
            Technically, I agree, no question about it, especially if you're referring to the digital noise & lack of sharpness (and the occasional bit of shoddy panning). Next time the conditions are good (if they ever will be the way the weather's going at the moment!), I want to go out and do some tests to be more in control of the ISO setting, but at the expense of depth-of-field.

From an emotional level, if not artistic, the feedback I'm getting (especially from non photo-techies!) is the second one is "better" ;)

If I had a situation where there was only one opportunity to capture footage, eg. wedding, at this point in my experiments to date, I wouldn't want to have to trust the 7D to deliver....

Comment

Another very good effort Moushu. The only difference I see from the first movie, is the subject. You know what they say? practice makes perfect, or at least a move in the right direction. As far as criticism from some members on this website, I would take it with a pinch of salt. You just have to look at the quality of some of the images that get posted, yes some are excellent, but some not at all. Most of us are on a steep learning curve, but know our limits when it comes to passing judgement. I take my hat off to you, for at least trying out the movie mode. Mines has never been switched on.

John

Comment

Moushu- don't wish to discourage you but it is the technical aspect I was referring to. I still have not used the movie mode with my two cameras- 600d & 60d and am looking for inspiration and convincing. Do keep your posts coming as you get more experienced in this side of the DSLR's.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by John27 View Post
                  Another very good effort Moushu. The only difference I see from the first movie, is the subject. You know what they say? practice makes perfect, or at least a move in the right direction. As far as criticism from some members on this website, I would take it with a pinch of salt. You just have to look at the quality of some of the images that get posted, yes some are excellent, but some not at all. Most of us are on a steep learning curve, but know our limits when it comes to passing judgement. I take my hat off to you, for at least trying out the movie mode. Mines has never been switched on.

John
                  Hi John, yes, fully agree. I don't mind criticism, but would prefer constructive criticism - I would have thought for anyone really a curt "not good" or "doesn't work" isn't a particularly useful thing for anyone to say, and certainly doesn't come across well if there's no explanation of the opinion to back it up.
                  Cheers,
                  Marlon

Comment

Working...
                  X