The Girl from Nowhere - short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Girl from Nowhere - short

Card is empty, battery is full. The nifty fifty is clean. The script is complete. The two actors know what to do. A colleague that shares my passion for photography and a fellow EOS user is bringing his battery operated video light.

Looking forward to a misty night, the perfect setting for shooting a mini-Film Noir.

myTube
    Twitter: @VilliAsgeirsson
    Canon EOS 60D - 50mm f1.8 - 50mm f1.4 - 18-135mm f4-5.6 - 100mm f2.8 macro - Speedlite 480EX - Canon EOS 500D

Re: The Girl from Nowhere - short

Intriguing! I look forward to the eventual post!

All the best, Mike.
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

I also look forward to the final result.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! As my MacBook Pro died on me last week, it may be a few days before I can post anything. A crew member (makes it sound impressive) shot this behind-the-scenes on an iPhone. Thought I'd share.

myTube
        Canon EOS 60D - 50mm f1.8 - 50mm f1.4 - 18-135mm f4-5.6 - 100mm f2.8 macro - Speedlite 480EX - Canon EOS 500D

Comment

Here it is! The Girl from Nowhere

Shot on a Canon EOS 60D, with a couple of shots from a 550D. We used a Rode mic, connected to the 550D. Chose that one as the audio device, as I wanted to be free to make whatever shots I wanted with the 60D. Not a great thing to do, as the Auto Gain on the 550D made post production harder than it needed to be.

The film was edited in Final Cut Pro X, available for 240 euros (not sure of UK price) from the App Store. Music used is a part of the audio collection you get with Final Cut.

If you have feedback or comments, I'd love to hear them.
          myTube

Comment

Well Villi, that was excellent and now I want to see more.
            Well done, I enjoyed that.

Comment

Thanks!

I was lucky with the weather. Misty while shooting a noir. And the actors were great! But this is fun and I'll definitely be doing it again! Now it's just a matter of coming up with a story worth filming. It's no good not making a better one next time.
              myTube

Comment

That was really great! You must be very pleased with that. Thanks for sharing.
                “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
                http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

Just watched the short film with a big tub of popcorn.just like been at the movies.
                  Well done.

Paul
                  EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                  Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

That is very good.....

Will we see you on the Red Carpet at Cannes next Year???

David
                    David

Comment

Enjoyed the film very much.
                      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks for all the comments! I have gotten really positive feedback, but getting it from you all is very special. You don't know me, so you see the film for what it is. Colleagues and friends think it's really cool that someone they know made something like this. You don's have that association, so it's very special to get the positive feedback from you. I'm totally happy you liked it.

It proves what I mentioned when EOS Magazine covered a previous project. You should just go out there and shoot something. Keep it simple enough that it can be done with the equipment and people you have at your disposal. I have done some video work in the past, but "retired" as I was unable to give it the time required to become someone. Full time job and a family was time consuming enough. I made White Roses in September because I wanted to try the movie mode on my 60D. It took an hour to shoot and half a day to edit. Then, by chance, I shot a music video. Salt as the Sea was shot in two hours and edited in a day. Robert Scott noticed Salt as the Sea and it got featured in EOS Magazine.

I came up with the idea for The Girl from Nowhere and shot it. 2-3 hours shooting, two days of editing. The new film was noticed by someone and now I have been asked to make a music video for a violinist living in L.A. A true virtuoso, she is on holiday in the Netherlands for two weeks and we will be shooting on Friday morning in one of the oldest and most glamourous cinemas in the country. The old gold and red look. I just know that it will be special.

I'm still "retired". I'm not doing this for the money (there is none) or the exposure (I'm not getting any). I'm purely doing this for fun. All four projects were a planned coincidence. Small enough that I can produce them without sacrificing too much time and money. And that's what I like about it. If nobody sees those films, then so be it. I'll have something to watch and smile about when I'm old and nobody comes for a visit at the nursery home. If they get noticed, great. I have no expectations, no roadplan and if I don't like a project, I won't do it. It is a very satisfying way of working.

Having said that, I do have that full length screenplay lying around that I'd like to shoot one day. After that one is done, we can start talking about Cannes.... ;o)
                        Last edited by Villi; 03-12-2011, 23:08.
                        myTube

Comment

Wow, I wish I could make movies like that. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nothing to wish for. Think of a subject, make sure it has some kind of a punchline and keep it simple and short. Get your friends together and grab your EOS. The first film may not be what you hoped for, but 2-3 films later, you'll start to see real improvements as you learn what works and what doesn't.
                            myTube

Comment

Very well done Villi. When is the next sequel?
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                              X