Grebe displaying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grebe displaying

Took this early this morning. I was tracking it as it swam along, and then it did this, unfortunately the white chest highlights have blown. Thanks for looking
    Attached Files
    40D, 70D. 400 5.6, 70-200 2.8IS, 17-50 2.8, 150 2.8 Macro, EOS-M3

Re: Grebe displaying

That's a really good capture, but as you have mentioned the whites are blown.

I suffer from this with Grebes, as I generally see them when it is really strong light, but the only technically correct shots I have of the little devils are in subdued light, where I can control the contrast range. Unfortunately, the most interesting action shots are always in bright light.

I am thinking of underexposing to preserve detail in the whites, process two versions of the same shot from RAW and merge them in Photoshop to obtain an accurate record of what we actually saw. Plan B is wait for a full dynamic range camera body, but I fear I shall be old and grey before that comes along.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Great shot with really nice wing blur

Comment

Thanks, one day it will all come together, the Grebe will swim around close to the shore in front of me, and I will have the time to adjust settings and take multiple photos.
        40D, 70D. 400 5.6, 70-200 2.8IS, 17-50 2.8, 150 2.8 Macro, EOS-M3

Comment

Working...
        X