Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low light Barney

Hi All,

Had just sat for two hours waiting for my 'usual' Barney to come out but gave up as the light had dropped as it approached 1800, on the way home I encountered another Barney flying up the grass verge towards me, jumped out and got a few shots backlit but also against a hedge, hence high ISO, which I find Lightroom doesn't do too good a job with.

Would anyone care to comment on any supplementary Noise software they use?

224a by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

223 by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

222a by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

Some shots were at ISO 3200, which I have seen others use with no loss of detail at all, mine were unusable

Paul

Re: Low light Barney

excellent shots again Paul, cant see any problem with noise on my screen

Would anyone care to comment on any supplementary Noise software they use?
    I dont use lightroom at all, much prefer Photoshop with Adobe Camera Raw which has most of the functions of LR but with the added bonus being part of photoshop. I have used Neat Image for years as a PS plug in, always on a duplicate layer and then masking out the subject so that NR is applied only to the background
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Nice set
      Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Lovely set Paul, also can't notice any noise this end.
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Great set Paul.

Bill.
          7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Thanks for looking Guys, these shots are 1600 and 2000ISO, the shots at 3200ISO were completely unusable, that's what I am struggling with.

Stan, have got a demo version of Neat Image downloaded and am having a play

Paul

Comment

I have had a look at the images on Flickr and I don’t see much of a problem and if you use the suggestions I made on the Clean Images Thread, you should have virtually noise free images. Just to test that, I grabbed the Low Res image from here and did just that.

I also understood that you had images taken at 3200ISO which were unusable and I have a further method I use for images of 64000ISO and above as follows:

· Having selected your subject and made it into a new layer, make a blank layer between the background and the subject layer.

· Select the background layer and carry out noise reduction and blur as required.

· Use the Colour Picker and choose two representative colours from the background.

· Select the Grad tool and ensure it is graduated from foreground colour to background colour, rather than colour to transparent.

· Apply the Grad Tool to the intermediate layer. Start at the top, or the bottom to get the colours in the right place for the image – I rarely get it right first time!

· Still on the intermediate layer, reduce the opacity to around 20%, or whatever works best for the image.

Job done and there shouldn’t be any noticeable noise even at high ISO, because the intermediate layer masks the noise. However, as the image was on the screen, I got a little carried away and did the following:

· Toned down some of the out of focus highlights.

· Desaturated the blue out of focus highlights.

· Warmed up Barney a little.

Hope that helps.

33608093258_af46e5d6bc_c by colin cross, on Flickr
              Colin

Comment

Thanks again Colin, that looks so much better, Barney's face is crisper too, as I said in my reply on your Clean Images Post, I really need to get out of the rut of relying on Lightroom and get to grips with Photoshop

Paul

Comment

Colin's edits have done a great job but its way over my head unfortunately
                  Steve ( LSINWP )
                  1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

Try Neat Image, I run all mine through it, I have the full version but there is a free light demo version too, simple to use and works.

Neat Image reduces high ISO noise, grain, artifacts in images from digital cameras, flatbed and slide scanners. It is a tool for professional photographers and digital image processing enthusiasts.

Download free demo of Neat Image for pre-purchase evaluation and non-commercial purposes.
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                    X