Gannets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gannets

Took my first visit this year to Bempton cliffs to see the Gannets.
    they've started the build their nests, and now gathering in large numbers once again.
    These are just a few that me and my son Matthew took on a great day, studying these great seabirds in there natural environment.

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Re: Gannets

Very good Paul.

I would love to get there and take some shots.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Difficult to choose - but I think #3 with the differential focussing is the one for me
      ef-r

Comment

Hi Paul

Nice shots, thanks. Nice birds, gannets! I agree with Brian, #3. I like it because of the splash of extra colour in the plants, and the sunlight on the head of the gannet.

Is it me, or did he fly right over the plant?... he seems to have straddled it with a leg either side!

All the best, Mike.
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Some excellent shots Paul, a bird i have never seen let along get any shots. I think my favourite is the dive, to get the shot sharp when they dive so quick it brilliant

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Many thanks Colin & Brian.
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike
            Is it me, or did he fly right over the plant?... he seems to have straddled it with a leg either side!
            Thanks Mike

The gannet were just hovering above the cliff tops,so i just got down to ground level to include some of the plants that grow along the edges of the cliffs.
            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Dan
            The sutble colouring of the birds' heads comes over very well. Looks to be a great location for getting close to the birds.
            Thanks Dan

You Have to be a bit careful with the exposure,i tend to up the exposure to brighten the eye,but the down side is the white feathers get over exposed ,tricky to get right.
            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Stan
            I think my favourite is the dive, to get the shot sharp when they dive so quick it brilliant
            Thanks Stan

I have to tell you, that it's not doing a dive it's actually flying right over head and my son took this shot, may be not the best place to stand it could of being very messy .

Many thanks for all comments Paul
            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.

Comment

Another vote for number three, lovely colours against the white of the bird.
              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
              Di's Flickr

Comment

Lovely series Paul. #1 or #3 for me, can't make my mind up.

Comment

Fantastic set of pics, really like tem all. What lens are you using?

Comment

Thanks for your comments (DeeGee, Adi7r, Gardino)
                    As for the lens used it's a mix of the Canon EF 200L and the Sigma 100-300.

#1/ #5 EF 200L
                    #2 Sigma 100-300 with 1.4 converter
                    #3/#4 /#6 Sigma 100-300 no converter

Paul

Comment

The 200F2.8L gives a great bokeh
                      ef-r

Comment

never get fed up with looking at Bempton Gannets, and these don't disappoint, 2&4 particularly stand out.
                        Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                        Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Working...
                        X