Bewick Swan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bewick Swan

Arundel WWT a couple of weeks ago, a female sitting on her nest which is right by the path but she seemed unbothered by all the people walking by. A second shot showing the eggs when she got up to tidy
    WDYT

Stan

Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Bewick Swan

Lovely shots again Stan, lovely colours and detail, nice to see a different shot other than on the water.

Joanne
    To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Comment

Thanks Dan and Joanne
      I was quite surprised how close to the path, other side of barrier though, she had made her nest when there was a lot more and perhaps safer space on the far side of the pond

Stan

flickr

Comment

Nice shots there Stan!

I don't think I've seen Bewick's on the nest, so good capture, that. Are they normally quite protective? If so, I guess they're just quite used to people, being in the WWT reserve!

I must admit I prefer my swans to have a nice clean head, so I guess this was shot not long after she'd had a good feed in a muddy pond!

All the best, Mike.
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Cheers Mike
          Are they normally quite protective?
          they were ok with people but when a couple of mallards came near she did get a bit agitated
          I must admit I prefer my swans to have a nice clean head, so I guess this was shot not long after she'd had a good feed in a muddy pond!
          I was quite surprised but that was the colour of the feathers, not mud

Stan
          Last edited by Stan; 12-06-2011, 07:39.

flickr

Comment

Thanks for clarifying about the feather colouring, Stan.

It made me check some of the shots I have of the Bewicks at Arundel, and they have the same colour, but not as pronounced as yours! I originally thought they didn't have that colour on their heads, so the memory must be starting to go!
            Interestingly, the pocket RSPB book I have shows the Bewick as pure white, but the Whooper with some head and neck colour! Don't panic though, I agree it's a Bewick in your shot!

All the best, Mike.
            flickr
            5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Colour on the feathers:
              at Caelaverock at Christmas, RSPB warden told us that the colouring on the heads and neck of some of the Bewicks comes from minerals in the waters they feed on way back home. Iron, possibly - given the colour - but can't remember the details. Anyway, its not mud. Hope that helps a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by hughbie View Post
                Colour on the feathers:
                at Caelaverock at Christmas, RSPB warden told us that the colouring on the heads and neck of some of the Bewicks comes from minerals in the waters they feed on way back home. Iron, possibly - given the colour
                I guess that this is similar to Flamingos who get their colouring from their diet as well.

Nice pictures Stan

Comment

You are correct Hugbie.

Concentrations of Ferric Oxide in the water, mostly in the mud layers at the bottom will give the characteristic rusty feathers look on the head.

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

Concentrations of Ferric Oxide in the water, mostly in the mud layers at the bottom will give the characteristic rusty feathers look on the head
                    interesting. I'm not sure if the Arundel bewicks are resident or not but presume the colour will fade when they are not feeding as such - ie spending time on the nest. This is the same swan taken today - the colouring is not quite so intense as a fortnight ago

Stan

flickr

Comment

Beautiful, surprised that she has nested so close to the path, the swans that I've taken shots off, nested on the islands in the middle of the lake as far away as they could get from people.
                      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks Di
                        Beautiful, surprised that she has nested so close to the path, the swans that I've taken shots off, nested on the islands in the middle of the lake as far away as they could get from people.
                        as I say it was the other birds she was more wary of

Stan

flickr

Comment

Working...
                        X