Kingfisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kingfisher

I have only managed to to photograph KF 4 times and only a couple shots each time. Today I spent 3 wonderful hours watching and photographing a pair of Kingfishers (only manged 1 image of 2 in the frame). Never manage to successfully photograph the KF diving, will try for that tomorrow as the site is only a 10 minute walk.
    A bit of a field craft question, does the KF make any sort of movement prior to diving which could give me a hint when it will dive.

Gary Cantwell LSINWP. ASINWP.

Superb set Gary, can't answer your question as I have only ever seen them once and that was from some distance.
    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

I envy you....... Lovely images.
      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Nice set Gary. Re your question, they sometime sort of bow forward with the tail coming up, but if they are perched looking down into the water, they just seem to go. I remember when I was filming we would leave the camera running if we saw an hint of movement. We ended up with hundred's of feet of film of a kingfisher just sitting on a twig!
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Lovely shots Gary

Ian
          Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Great images. Think Trev is correct, often it's like they just drop of the perch with no warning.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Well done really envious

Alan

Comment

They mostly just go, but sometimes you get a clue. They may crouch, lean forward slightly, or stare at the water just before they dive. If they are preening, looking up for potential predators, or looking sideways, it is likely that nothing is about to happen for a while.
                Colin

Comment

Beautiful set. Well worth the hours.

Comment

One on my bucket list Gary I have seen them on the Loch I fish, set up a perch where loads of minnows lay, sat for ages waiting, never ever used it. Would love great shots like yours even without the diving.

Comment

Very well done, keep going back, they often use the same place and same perches, cracking set

Paul

Comment

Thanks guys for comments and info most helpful
                        Paul the site is only a ten minute walk so I will be visiting it regularly
                        Dave if you can come down to Perth I would take you to the site and show you the best views. PM me

Comment

Excellent set of lovely photos.
                          Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Super set....amazing!
                            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Colin, Brian

Comment