Egret "Dabbling" for food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Egret "Dabbling" for food

I watched this Egret feeding in very shallow water in Mudeford Harbour yesterday and it was using a technique I've not seen before. Most usually they seem to either move their feet about to disturb the bottom or ambush hunt from a standing posiition but this one was "Dabbbling" its beak like a duck.

It looked to be taking small crustacea but I couldn't get a clear enough shot to check. Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Re: Egret "Dabbling" for food

Yes - saw the same at a Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust reserve near Welshpool earlier in the year - though it was a juvenile bird so didn't seem toi have much of a clue how to fish. To its credit though it quickly latched on to the fact that if it followed the great crested grebe and cormorant feeding in the shallows they'd do all the hard work and it could get a free meal - have a couple of images will dig out and post

Comment

I like this image.
      The reflection in the water together with the slight ripple really makes this image for me.

Comment

I cant comment on the feeding behaviour, but I do like the photo!

Andrew
        Andrew

Comment

Working...
        X