Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ICBP - Day 2 of my trip - 6 birds

Hi there

Day 2 saw me meet up with Stephen (Hereford_EOS2) at the ICBP. Great day, excellent company. Day started overcast and drizzly but soon picked up. A selection of shots follow, but I have tried not to duplicate Stephen's shots already posted!

I'll apologise now if I have got the names wrong! Tricky to listen and shoot at the same time! Some I have put a '?' in the shot title... meaning I'm unsure. If anyone knows what they actually are, please let me know and I'll change them accordingly!

Stellar's Sea Eagle - DUCK! by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Indian Tawny Eagle? landing by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Barn Owl young by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Eurasian Griffon Vulture touchdown by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Owl landing by mikep_eos, on Flickr

The last one is the only one I'm posting from the Peregrine, Lanner and Saker falcons. Simple reason - I'm not yet good enough to keep up with such fast birds! It does make me appreciate some of the shots posted on other threads though, as I now appreciate just how tricky they are to get!

Lanner Falcon diving by mikep_eos, on Flickr

For most of these, I was using M mode, and the techniques Collin C and Stan had described for metering. If you haven't got into M mode too much yet, I would recommend it, as it's not as scary as I thought!

Day 3 - Elan Valley and Gigrin Farm to follow, but I have nearly 800 shots to sort first!

All the best, Mike.
    Last edited by mikep; 22-08-2011, 20:22.
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Re: ICBP - Day 2 of my trip - 6 birds

Make your mind up...is the Stellar a Sea Eagle or a Duck......................................I'll get my coat.
    Nice shots(think the falcon is a Lanner,brown stripe over the eye makes me think this)

tigerburnie
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
      Make your mind up...is the Stellar a Sea Eagle or a Duck......................................I'll get my coat.
      LOL I thought of adding a similar comment.
      Day 2 saw me meet up with Stephen (Hereford_EOS2) at the ICBP. Great day, excellent company.
      Likewise Mike.

Great images from a great day at ICPB

Comment

As Mike has said you have got the hang of this now and have some great pictures in this set, I love the owls

Comment

Cheers guys, appreciate the feedback / comments.

Still binning quite a few shots, but that's OK, as I also got some I'm really pleased with. Yes, the owl landing is one of my favourites... I have one of him 'on approach' which is pretty good too, but I haven't posted as there's a 6 shot limit! Might keep it for later!

All the best, Mike.
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

I love the baby owl shot. Now theres a bird with character.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Hi Mike
              These shots are the pick of the bunch from your 4 days, well done

Stan
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

Thanks Di & Stan!

Yes, I agree the ICBP shots are the better set, definitely so with the characterful owl! So many people have said how cute he is!

Many thanks. Mike.
                flickr

Comment

Working...
                X