Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slimbridge WWT - Day 4 of my trip

Hi

The last day of my 4 day trip was somewhat disappointing - almost constant rain and overcast - tricky light for my kit and experience... however...

Quite liked watching this Grey Heron going about his stealthy business!

Heron stalking by mikep_eos, on Flickr

First time I've seen Black Tailed Godwits... and this Greylag Goose crashed the party!

Greylag Goose and Black Tailed Godwits by mikep_eos, on Flickr

and I finally had a closer encounter with some Redshank (one of my favourite birds at the moment - but I don't know why!).

Redshank by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Hope you enjoy the shots! I'll definitely be going back to Slimbridge late autumn / winter, as it's quite a spectacle apparently!

All the best, Mike.
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Re: Slimbridge WWT - Day 4 of my trip

Mike - thanks for sharing. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself ... apart friom the weather. Still I for one like photos in all weathers (after all most of us live in the UK).

You might want to consider the WWT oop norf (Martin Mere) next time.

Comment

The WWT places tend to be best in winter when the geese come back from the arctic - may be snow on the ground, ice on the ponds etc so interesting opps. As MX5 mentions Martin Mere is worth a visit (tho recommend you ignore the 'zoo bit' and use some of the further hides ) the whoopers were there in great numbers last winter and for an example shot have a look here - also lots of ruff about earlier this year here. Andgood numbers of avocet about although they were a bit distant even for the big lens - shot here

Also if you happen to be up in the 'real north' check out Caerlaverock on the Solway (south of Dumfries) - a bit wilder than either Slimbridge or Martin Mere

Comment

Lovely shots. I especially liked the goose in the rain. Two questions: 1 please advise what lens you used and 2 please advise about photography in the rain, how did you protect your camera ?

Thanks
        David

Comment

David - picking up on your second question - I have a total of 4 alternatives for protecting my gear - one of the first two being preferable

1) use a wooden hide on site with seats/windows!
          2) use my portable waterproof hide (from Stealth Gear)
          3) use a bin liner over the gear (obviously with a hole cut at the lens end!) and a waterproof cover - again from Stealth Gear
          4) give up and go home if it gets too bad!

All my gear (1D3 & 4 plus a bunch of L series lenses) is 'weatherproof' but I kind of don't like to rely on that!

Hope this helps

Mark W

Comment

Originally posted by davidportwain View Post
            Lovely shots. I especially liked the goose in the rain. Two questions: 1 please advise what lens you used and 2 please advise about photography in the rain, how did you protect your camera ?
            Hi David

I was using my 550D, with a Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM (the non L one). To protect my kit when taking shots I used mwphoto's option #1 (I sat in a hide)!
            For walking about in the rain, I simply put my camera under my rainproof top!

@MX5 - I do intend visiting ALL the WWT eventually! Living south of London makes the trip oop norf a bit lengthy, so I'll try and combine several things into one trip! As to the weather, I believe in the saying "there's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing!".

Cheers all. Mike.
            flickr
            5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
              To protect my kit when taking shots I used mwphoto's option #1 (I sat in a hide)!
              Now that answer put a smile on my face, I like it.

Comment

Love the redshanks with their reflection! So much to see at Slimbridge - I try and stop there en route to grandchildren in Britsol, but often run out of time!! Did you se the otters - could watch them for hours, too!

Comment

Mike, thanks for sharing. I like the Heron pic the best as it shows "stealth". Slimbridge is one of my favourite places to relax and enjoy watching the birds- and to photograph.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks Stephen, Di and Nat!

@Di - my closest WWT is Barnes, London, but the Redshanks there are usually quite some distance from the nearest hide! At Slimbridge, they were much closer, so I managed to get quite a few shots, but the light wasn't great and it was raining! Glad you liked them! I actually remembered to try and get the reflection as well this time - I normally forget that bit!

@Nat - I have some other shots of the Heron that have come up really well, but I liked this the best for the same reason you state! I thi.nk Slimbridge is the best WWT I've been to! Big and spread out, but so much to see!

Cheers guys 'n' gal! Mike.
                    flickr

Comment

Working...
                    X