Now that's a gobful!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that's a gobful!

Taken from the alternative hide (the car!) after spotted the robin perching on this post before heading to the nest - this is the picture that finally convinced me the 7D I had was rubbish and needed to go!

Re: Now that's a gobful!

Excellent shot

Glad I've had my lunch already these birds can't have any taste buds

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Originally posted by mwphoto View Post
      Taken from the alternative hide (the car!) after spotted the robin perching on this post before heading to the nest - this is the picture that finally convinced me the 7D I had was rubbish and needed to go!
      Can you elaborate please? What exif, lens - and what do you think is wrong?

Brian
      ef-r

Comment

I found it very hit and miss to be honest and I find the IQ very mushy and noisy - don't get me wrong I had some great shots with it but pretty much all of those came at low ISO and in great light - in this country can't normally guarantee that! Having fried my much loved 40D in a rock pool I bought the 7D as a direct replacement and immediately ran into mushy image issues - having rejected the first 2 I persevered with the 3rd - Canon had a look at it on 3 separate occasions and agreed that while the IQ was below what they would expect there was nothing off-spec with the camera and refused to help any further. While not a direct comparison the 1D IQ is way better (should be of course) and the 40D was perfect - may of course be that I had a perfect 40D and a below par 7D but it seemed to me from this not statistically significant test that the IQ on the 40D was the pinnacle of the APS-C development. All very disappointing I'm afraid. Because the IQ was so iffy I ended up having to stop the lens down to try and get a bit of DoF and sharpness - and this on a camera/lens combo that had been calibrated by Canon Pro Services

For this particular shot ISO 400, 1/320 resting on bean bag on the car window, f7.1, lens 400mm f5.6L - some of the feather detail is very very good but some isn't - maybe it was just me but having taken good stuff with the 40D, 5D, 1D3 and 1D4 I tend to think I simply had a series of bad 7Ds! Hope you get on better with yours!

Comment

I tend to think I simply had a series of bad 7Ds
          I think you had a series of bad luck, I have had my 7D for nearly two years now, have taken well over50,000 shots with it, mostly ISO between 400 and 1600 and have rarely been disappointed. I know of a number of other nature togs who got one as a back up to their 1 series and ended up using it as their main camera

Mind you i can understand where you are coming from. I swapped my 40D for a 50D and was very disappointed in its performance at anything above ISO 200 and very soon replaced it with my 7D and got another 40D as backup ( from sam fisher in fact) - however was it me ? - 'cos there are a number of peoiple on the forum producing good shots with the 50D

Anyway - the shot, I like it, always good to capture something a little different

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Yeah it was either bad luck or me!! I know many people love the 7D but it's certainly divided opinion and I remain nothing more or less than hugely disappointed - one good thing is that it forced me to take the plunge and move into the 1D world, something I should have done when I bought the 7 I guess so out of disappointment comes something a little bit more positive!

I do however regret dropping the 40D in a rock pool (chasing that shot of an otter off Grasspoint on Mull) - that was a great camera and delivered fantastic IQ

Comment

I do however regret dropping the 40D in a rock pool (chasing that shot of an otter off Grasspoint on Mull) - that was a great camera and delivered fantastic IQ
              I regretted getting rid of mine too, thats why i got another as back up

Stan
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

Initially I had issues with my 50D - until I adjusted the micro focus, which then made it perfect

My 7D is better than the 50D but at the moment the AF is not consistent in terms of speed - but that could be me. I am using zone for tracking moving objects, there seems to be other fn related to AF which I haven't got into yet. Static object on spot and one shot gives very good IQ upto iso1600 where it starts to show some noise in the dark places.

After using the 5DII the high ISO performance is disappointing - which is difficult when using long lens you need high iso for the fast shutter speeds
                Last edited by briansquibb; 14-09-2011, 18:40.
                ef-r

Comment

Hi Mark

T.B.H. I'm somewhat aghast this Robin picture convinced you the camera was rubbish, I can't see much wrong with it at all, but horses for courses, and if you weren't happy, so be it. I must admit, if I'd taken this shot, it would be in my 'favourites' folder! Nice exposure, good feather detail, Robin looking at the camera, and I can even see the different shades in his eye!

One quick question about the 'spare' cameras... Are you all lottery winners?

All the best, Mike.
                  flickr
                  5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Yeah Brian the microfocus is an 'interesting development' - two schools of thought on it I guess and not going to start the debate here! I ended up doing this 3 or 4 times before I was really happy and ended up with a consistent +4 or +5 across the range of lenses - one does wonder how we ever got sharp pictures out of a Canon DSLR before this new function was introduced...............or maybe we didn't???

It was the high ISO performance in particular I was disappointed with but I guess given that the pixels are so small and close together on the APS-C there is an inevitable level of inherent noise - and as they are 4.3 microns on the 7 and almost 50% bigger at 6.4 microns on the 5D Mk2 I suppose that would explain some of the difference.

Hope you get the AF working - when it does work it's pretty good but as ever it's a bit complex to set up!

Comment

Thanks Mike - pleased you like the shot! Don't get me wrong I think it's a cracking shot, just not as good as I would have expected and certainly not a patch on what I get out of the 1D - obviously the attachment is a small jpeg (from memory it's only around 300k) but, and this was my real issue, when you look at the image at 100% on the iMac it's very mushy. Ok that's not the way that most images are going to be looked at most of the time but when I want to print images to (say) A3 at 300dpi you start to notice the 'issues' - one day they'll make a DSLR that produces images of the quality of good old Kodachrome 25!!

And ref the spare cameras - if I'd won the lottery I'd have more than 2!! More seriously I feel completely (sic) exposed with only a single body - hence carry more than one. God example - mention about dropped the 40D in a rockpool in Mull last year halfway through a 2 week phototrip - while not ideal for wildlife as the drive's a bit slow at least I had the 5D mk2 to fall back on! So just a level of insurance really - and all this gear keeps the chiropractors in business!!

Comment

btw - if anyone's interested - the robin pic was taken in a small pull in next to a pond by the Sawmills between Garthmyl and Ceri (on the road between Newtown and Churchstoke). Sat there to watch the 20 or so goosander on the pond and noticed the robin coming back in with a beakful every couple of minutes or so - at every visit it posed on this one fence post, hence moved the car forward a bit, half lowered the window and slung the beanbag over it - pretty much best hide in the world is a car!

Comment

Originally posted by mwphoto View Post
                          Hope you get the AF working - when it does work it's pretty good but as ever it's a bit complex to set up!
                          I am 90% OK on the AF, just seems a little sluggish on occasions.

@Mike - I have a 7D and a 5DII - cost about the same as 2 of my lens. My speedlights cost more than the 7D but it is the glass that takes the money - and I haven't got any fast, long lens
                          ef-r

Comment

Working...
                          X