Martin Mere WWT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martin Mere WWT

Whilst I have been a member for years .. I seldom seem to have time. But this morning (highest temperatures since records began for an October) popped in for an hour.

I know nowt about birds (ontology, taxomony or even common names) and rarely photograph them, so our regular bird photographers can (if they want, after a sharp intake of breath) as a guide to others point out my basic mistakes and how things might be improved (I'm old, but never too old to learn).

7D plus 300 f/4 L (some with the 1.4x). All hand held.

1. A Duck

2. A Swan

3. Ducks in flight

I thought of ducks on house walls for a brief moment

4. Another duck

5. Geese?

Statler and Waldorf?

6. Flamingo (Pink)

Miami Vice

Thanks for looking ... I'll should stick to rambling photos :-)
    Last edited by MX5; 02-10-2011, 06:16.

Re: Martin Mere WWT

Haha - good stuff - respectively shelduck, whooper swan (migrant from summer in high arctic so one of the early arrivals - I don't think they have resident population at MM), err not ducks but canada geese, also known as the flying rats because they don't migrate and hack everyone off, shoveler and what look like white-fronted geese (number of variants therein as well so need to check - reasonably uncommon so that's the best one!). And yep a flamingo!

Get yourself back there more often - it's worth it, esp from the hide on the far right!

Mark W

Comment

Mark - thanks for the IDs. I used the 'United Utilities' hide today ... a first as didn't know it existed (blushing) although must have seen it.

Being paid up members I should get there more often ... like the Windmill Animal Farm next door and it's 15" guage Farm Railway which I've yet to visit.

Comment

have to say number 4 is my fave. Mr flamingo looks a bit mean doesn't he.
        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks Di. Yes Mr Flamingo does look mean.

Comment

A nice selection MX
            so our regular bird photographers can (if they want, after a sharp intake of breath) as a guide to others point out my basic mistakes
            mainly a bit of tidying up and with the ducks getting a lower POV and geese eye contact
            No 1 - clone the bit of duck in the corner and lower pov. nice eye
            no 2 - like the pose would be tempted to clone the black duck at the bottom
            no 3 - not sure if the horizon is straight or not but would crop to more of a letterbox format and exclude the goose on the left who is almost out of the frame
            no 4 - good as is
            no 5 - shame they are looking away and a bit central in the frame - less on the right and more on the left plus a bit more on the bottom where you have lost a bit of foot
            no 6 - flamingos are always difficult to get a good composition as they tend to move together giving little chance to isolate one. If you have enough pixels i would crop this one to a head shot

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Many thanks Stan. To get any lower I would have to lay on the ground ;-) and then have trouble getting up again.

But they are very useful comments. Which I hope others will also find useful.

I guess you know birds ... i.e. what they may do next ... whereas I'm never sure what they'll do. But I should make more use of the 'motor drive' and from the sequence one is likely to be okay.

All part of learning. Once again thanks Stan.

Comment

Working...
              X