Swan landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swan landing

Swan landing on the canal. What a beautiful and powerful bird, often overlooked, especially by me in the past!

Not anymore!

Swan Landing iii by Christian Dougal Thompson, on Flickr
    http://hidingincars.blogspot.com/

Re: Swan landing

Beautifully caught.

Often overlooked because we have all done them. Camera club judges call them "ABS" shots ............. another bloody swan! So swans in camera club competitions have to be very good to work, as is this one.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

I like this image.
      I always seem to miss the swan landing or taking off.
      Well done

Comment

Christian.

A well timed and well caught shot. No problem here with 'more swan shots', although they can be tricky to expose correctly, and you've done a good job!

Being pedantic, I think this swan is actually taking off, not landing, unless swans land on only one leg now! I think the movement in the wings and the fact he's running suggest that he's trying to get air-born, but I may be wrong... it has been know!

Good shot, whatever he's doing!

All the best, Mike.
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Flaps Mike ................... and a bow wave from the foot.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
            Flaps Mike ................... and a bow wave from the foot.
            Well, on second viewing you may be right Colin... but it still looks like he's holding his left foot in the air, which is a pretty neat trick!

The one behind has just taken off though... so is that one a piece?

Still a good capture.. so well done on that!

All the best, Mike.
            flickr
            5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Thank you all for your comments.

Colin: Love the fact that there are such things as ABS shots! Thank you for your encouraging reply.

Hereford: Thanks for your comments Stephen - I agree with your sentiments re. comments at the bottom of your post.

Mike: Hi Mike. First of all, thanks for your advice re. the Transcend card- it's excellent and I can often get 5-6 RAW shots off in a burst. The swans were landing (see the cygnet coming in behind), it was a lovely sight. The exposure has nothing to do with me, but all down to the 500d's expert ability to choose an ISO in 'auto iso' setting! Sometimes the light is so nice that you can risk the 'auto' setting.

Thank you all for your comments.

Christian

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
                Well, on second viewing you may be right Colin... but it still looks like he's holding his left foot in the air, which is a pretty neat trick!

The one behind has just taken off though... so is that one a piece?

Still a good capture.. so well done on that!

All the best, Mike.
                Hi Everyone,

I'm including these additional shots to demonstrate the landing motion in the swan.

Swan Landing ii by Christian Dougal Thompson, on Flickr

Swan Landing by Christian Dougal Thompson, on Flickr

Thanks again for all your comments.

Comment

OK, OK, he's landing, I got it wrong, I confess! lol

I like the last 2, they certainly complete the series quite nicely! Well done!

All the best, Mike.
                  flickr

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
                    OK, OK, he's landing, I got it wrong, I confess! lol

I like the last 2, they certainly complete the series quite nicely! Well done!

All the best, Mike.
                    Nice one mate - your comments are very kind. I appreciate your advice re. the memory card (a while back) - it allowed me to capture the swan series, which I wouldn't have been able to do with the old card.

All the best.

Christian

Comment

Those are great images - the effort involved in a swan's landong or take-of reminds me of a jumbo jet - can't think how they every become airborne = let alone stay up there!! Love the reflection and the wing angles

Comment

Originally posted by birdsbirdsbirds View Post
                        I appreciate your advice re. the memory card (a while back) - it allowed me to capture the swan series, which I wouldn't have been able to do with the old card.
                        You're welcome, although you've got a better memory than me! Glad whatever I recommended worked out for you!

All the best, Mike
                        flickr

Comment

Originally posted by DianaS View Post
                          Those are great images - the effort involved in a swan's landong or take-of reminds me of a jumbo jet - can't think how they every become airborne = let alone stay up there!! Love the reflection and the wing angles
                          Thank you Diana. I agree, the effort involved is amazing and a privilege to see.

Comment

Working...
                          X