Ian thought I was soft!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ian thought I was soft!

In my previous post staring Tom, Ian made me look back at the image I had posted (LINK) as he thought might be soft. He was correct it didn't have a very good DOF. This is a image from the same day which hopefully isn't soft .

Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Re: Ian thought I was soft!

Afraid this one is softer ,the nose is sharp enough so it’s a d.o.f not a focussing issue .either stop your lens down further when doing close ups or focus on the eye . My first impression is your shooting in single shot mode where the camera focuses on the nearest object

Comment

I find I need to shoot at f8 to get nose to ear sharpness.....the background still blurs because it is so relatively far away - depends on focal length and distance to subject of course.....200mm f4.5 could be enough but at 50mm may need f8
      Last edited by @imagesBV; 25-01-2018, 22:26.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
        Afraid this one is softer ,the nose is sharp enough so it’s a d.o.f not a focussing issue .either stop your lens down further when doing close ups or focus on the eye . My first impression is your shooting in single shot mode where the camera focuses on the nearest object
        Thanks Jeff, after reading your comments I went back to the image to identify the focus points and exif. As you will see from the attached image the focus was on the tongue not his eye.

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
        I find I need to shoot at f8 to get nose to ear sharpness.....the background still blurs because it is so relatively far away - depends on focal length and distance to subject of course.....200mm f4.5 could be enough but at 50mm may need f8
        Cheers Brian, I was using a 100mmL IS Macro at f8. But as you will see from the attached image, my choice of focus point was rubbish

Tom-Focus-copy.jpg
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

The closer you are to a subject peter ,the smaller the aperture needs to be to get d.o.f correct ,in this case the right hand eye would have been my choice of focus points with around F11 or even F16

Comment

Ah! I see.

For what its worth I try to focus on the bridge of the nose or the tag hanging around the neck.....some of my best shots are with the 100L Macro
            On reviewing mine, most shots are at around f5.6-f8.0....but a bit further away than your composition.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
            X