New pet mantis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New pet mantis

This is Gamora...a "Giant" African Mantis (Sphrodomantis lineola) currently the size of my thumb nail, tiny! She will grow to approx
    3 1/2 inches.

These are just a couple of handheld shots while I was cleaning her home, to see how she reacted to the lights and camera.
    Didn't phase her, she just sat preening herself and occasionally looking at the camera. I will hopefully get some detailed shots as she grows.

001 by SuperGeeman, on Flickr

002 by SuperGeeman, on Flickr

Re: New pet mantis

Great shot, what a strange looking creature. Do you keep these
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thanks Trevor, yes, I had one a couple of years ago, they live approx a year to 18 months .... Similar to stick insects, which I've kept for years... I'll be getting another mantis soon.

Sent from my Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Fascinating creatures , what do you feed them with ?

Comment

Initially flightless fruitflies, as they grow, crickets, meal worms... They aren't fussy!

Comment

Super shots, like the first one best
            Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Two great shots, look forward to seeing more.

Bill.
              7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by Lepus View Post
                Fascinating creatures , what do you feed them with ?
                Thanks for the info , I like big insects . That fly surely taking it`s chances in your first pic . Be nice to see some pics as he grows , perhaps with something to give us a measure .

Comment

Originally posted by Lepus View Post
                  Thanks for the info , I like big insects . That fly surely taking it`s chances in your first pic . Be nice to see some pics as he grows , perhaps with something to give us a measure .
                  That's my intention, she's so small at the moment, as you can see by the relative size next to the thorn on the bramble twig... She'll get used to the camera and coming out of her vivarium, they are very tolerant and will happily sit on you and preen themselves. I will get another one my now "elderly" stick insect passes, which will be in the next couple of months.

Comment

Working...
                  X