Ladybird pupa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ladybird pupa

We were clearing out the herb bed yesterday and noticed a huge number of ladybirds with all sorts patterns on the sage.

We suspect they are Harlequins which apparently can vary from red shell with up to 21 black spots to black shell with 2 red spots - most confusing!

There were a number of pupae on the leaves, which are better for attempts at photography because they don't move.

They really do have the most alien-looking appendages at the end which appears to be anchored to the leaf. They look like something out of Dr Who!

Ladybird pupa (Harlequin-) by John Liddle, on Flickr
    Last edited by John Liddle; 02-07-2020, 11:30.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

That's a strange looking one John, never seen anything like that but well captured
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

After getting a reasonable result from using flash to capture one of the other ladybirds we found yesterday, I thought I would return to these wierd-looking pupae using the same method - a better result I think.

Ladybird pupa (2) by John Liddle, on Flickr
      Last edited by John Liddle; 02-07-2020, 14:05. Reason: Speeling
      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Well captured John
        7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Nice sharp detailed photos.
          Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Working...
          X