Random from today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random from today

Grey and overcast but dry so nipped down to Rainham - flooded and not much 'within reach' but other than the swans in my other post I did manage these - 1dmk4, 300 2.8 mkii with the 1.4 extender handheld as usual.

#1 - 1/500, f/4, iso 400, TV - 'really tight crop' Ident please ;-)

#2 - 1/800, f/4.5, iso 1600, TV - way into the reeds just watching

#3 - 1/800, f/4.5, iso 1000, TV

#4 - 1/800, f/4, iso 800, TV - Lapwings, Room for one more?

#5 - 1/800, f/4, iso 100, TV - Only saw this egret the once and it was gone - almost 100% crop

#6 - 1/500, f/4.5, iso 1000, TV - House Sparrow I believe?

Thanks for looking and as always - feel free to comment / critique as you see fit!

.DAVID.
    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Re: Random from today

Nice series of images David but for me the the 2nd image (1st image of the fox) is tops.

Tom

Comment

The first fox would be a cracker David if not for the oof grasses in front of his face

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Cracking images with that combo David.

Alan
        Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

David nice set, for me the second fox image is my favourite and I think if some of the top and RHS were cropped it would make it even better.

Comment

Nice series of pictures, my vote is for the Lapwings. Lovely quality in the fox images, but as previously stated a bit too central.

Comment

The first one gets my vote. Nice composition, lovely out of focus background and a sharp critter looking about. Spot on

I think it might be a Greenfinch, but please don't quote me on that
              Elaine

1Ds mk III;
              24 - 105 f4 L is; 300 f4 L is
              580 EX; 580 EX II; ST-E2

My Flickr

My Blog

Comment

Yep first looks like Greenfinch
                Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

First is a greenfinch and last one a female house sparrow.

One of the best books for ID is the Collins Bird Guide here although it is a bit heavy to carry around with you even being a paperback. A more manageable one to slip in the bag is the Collins Gem series here

Stan
                  Last edited by Stan; 04-01-2013, 09:21.

flickr

Comment

Good set David, they keep getting better, the first Fox would have been an absolute cracker if not for that one piece of foreground grass but nothing you could do about that, second Fox is really good too, I really like the way the one Lapwing stands out from all the others.

Regards Paul

Comment

#4 lapwings - amazing, lovely shot, David
                      #3 fox - a close second
                      And the sparrow is unusually good for a common subject
                      Andy
                      Last edited by AndyMackie; 04-01-2013, 12:09. Reason: added comment on sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                        One of the best books for ID is the Collins Bird Guide here although it is a bit heavy to carry around with you even being a paperback. A more manageable one to slip in the bag is the Collins Gem series here
                        I can recommend the collins guide book too... it's my 'go to' book when at home!
                        (I got mine FREE when I joined the WWT and paid by direct debit... you might want to check that out!)
                        Thanks also Stan for the Gem book link, I'll have a look at the one you recommend, and some of the others in the 'Gem' series... some really interesting ones in there!

All the best, Mike
                        flickr
                        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Thanks also Stan for the Gem book link, I'll have a look at the one you recommend, and some of the others in the 'Gem' series... some really interesting ones in there!
                          we saw them in the shop at WWT Barnes a few weeks ago and added some to our christmas lists, so I got the birds and butterflies from Dee and i got her the fungi and insects

Stan

flickr

Comment

Thanks guys - yep - gutted about the reed across the foxes nose BUT this is wildlife and sometimes you only have a second for the shot before it's gone!

Will look into getting a book for reference but I am a little worried that it may tip me over the edge into the realms of 'twitcherism' which is a bit of a scary place ;-)

.DAVID.
                            Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Great set David. I love no2 (The fox) 10/10 on my envy meter.
                              Thanks for sharing
                              Graydon
                              Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
                              EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Working...
                              X