Bird of Paradise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bird of Paradise

Was in Los Angeles Ca today and ran across this Bird any CC?
    Extreme sun tried to underexpose and adjust in Light room---- HOWEVER..
    Shot manual with a 70-200 f4 f5/6 1/250 in raw and could not get the focus right in 3 shots in alservo.
    What would you do different?

Re: Bird of Paradise

Well, you've done well to capture this Strelizia while the petals are at their best... they don't last long... but; the image is back (or side) lit which hasn't helped. You may have been better-off moving to the other side, if possible, to light-up the "bulb" of the flower...

As for DoF, at f/5.6 you need to be parrallel to the flower to ensure all is in focus, but the off-set of that is lower creativity! As it is I like the presentation and I would live with the base of the flower being OOF. If you want a sharper image all round, you'll need to go to f/8, but that will reduce the Bokeh effect in the background...

Other than that, I would also crop to a square to concentrate on the flower-head and crop-off the lower half...
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Re: Bird of Paradise

Thank you for a very "good" critique!
      The location is surrounded by large trucks and a fence making it very difficult to get the best angle.
      Didn't occur to me to crop the head but I like the advice
      Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X