An image size issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An image size issue

I recently took 6 portrait photos with my EOS 5D MK IV and assigned Panoramic Factory software to stitch them. I got a response that the images are not the same size. I checked them and they were within +/-3 pixels. I corrected the sizes in mm to be the same but the sizes in pixels remained unchanged. The software still refuses to accept them. I have made many panoramas, but this is the first time I have such an issue. Any idea of how this occurred and whether there is a way to correct pixel counts? Thanks.
    Vasilis
    EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

That brings back memories - I used to use Panorama Factory a long time ago. I see I still have v5.3 installed, I'd quite forgotten. If it's not a 360 panorama I'd be inclined to throw them into Microsoft's Free Image Compositing Editor, if you have Windows...
    Pushing the limits of what is possible in photography As part of the larger Computer Vision Group, computational photography research explores the power of AI and computer vision, pushing the limits of what is possible by helping people fully and easily utilize technology with innovative photography apps and services. Here are some of the applications […]

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
      That brings back memories - I used to use Panorama Factory a long time ago. I see I still have v5.3 installed, I'd quite forgotten. If it's not a 360 panorama I'd be inclined to throw them into Microsoft's Free Image Compositing Editor, if you have Windows...
      https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/rese...posite-editor/
      Thank you for your response, DrJon. It is true that P/F has its limitations, although, for my needs, it usually is good enough. However, I would gladly use a better software if available at a reasonable price. I checked the page you suggested but have found no pricing information. Could it be free-of-charge? Besides, I am not sure whether it is a "free-standing" programme or a Photoshop plug-in. I am using Photoshop Elements 19 and if it requires full PS I would be unable to use it.

As regards my problem with picture sizes, I found a solution on the web: When converting (and saving) from RAW to TIFF or JPG on DPP, there is a choice of final file sizes, both in single- and batch conversion. It seems that processing on DPP can introduce image size chnages of a few pixels (2-3 pixels in my case). My current most annoying problem with P/F is the distortion of nearby objects; straight lines become curved!

I appreciate your response.
      Vasilis
      EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
        https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/rese...posite-editor/
        I agree for a free piece of software Microsoft ICE is great for stitching panoramas.
        Prior to Adobe Lightroom stitching algorithm improvements, I would always use ICE for a series that Lightroom couldn’t handle.
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

ICE is free and stand-alone. It seemed a simple solution from where you were.

I wasn't being rude about Panorama Factory, I got a lot of good use out of it. I personally use PtGui Pro for serious Panoramas these days, but ICE is handy for quick flat Panoramas (vs 360) and usually smart enough to just leave it to it. I'd suggest giving it a go, as for some things it might be a lot faster (from what I remember of PF).

Comment

Sincere thanks for the information DrJon. (I don't check this site very often.), I will download ICE. Hope it handles TIFF files.

Comment

Hi
              try hugin software ,it's free and works across various operating systems

Comment

Hi, I was using Photoshop Elements 14. Several friends who were using the full Photoshop and paying monthly for it have now switched to Affinity, at a one off price of about £38.00. I have been using it for a few weeks now and find it far better than Photoshop. Worth at try.

Comment

Thanks for the information Frederick. I will check Affinity out. As long as it is not substantially different from Elements which I am pretty familiar with after so many years (but with which I have several issues), I will gladly switch. Affinity. After all, Elements is becoming quite expensive; it costs ~€130 in Greece and if you decide to update, say every two years, it's almost as expensive as full version PS.

Comment

Working...
                  X