Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first attempt at a Portrait.

Hi everyone

This is my first attempt at a Portrait with my first DSLR. Any comments are welcome especially on how to improve.

1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
    Facebook
    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Re: My first attempt at a Portrait.

That shouldn't work .............. but it does.

You seem to have captured the curiosity of youth, peeking out into the world.
    Colin

Comment

Would have to agree with Colin's assessment.

Tom

Comment

Thank you for your comments I was unsure whether it would look right but I am quite pleased with the way it turned out it would maybe be better if both eyes were in the light

Flickr
        Facebook

Comment

Hi Paul,

I agree that it works nicely and that as you have said it would have been even better is both eyes had caught the light.

The only other observation, and not a criticism, is that if you toned down the bright areas on the right hand side you would really push the focus onto the little girls lovely face.

Comment

That's lovely. The shadows tell a story as Colin says..curiosity, peeping out into the big wide world.
            “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
            http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

Nice shot of a beautiful girl but agree with you regarding the eyes.

As you also requested advice for future shots, whereas shooting from adult height will result in adoring looks such as this one, I would generally recommend shooting form a lower angle when photographing children - get down into their world, as it were. Either shoot level with the eyes or often better still, get down so low you look up at them.

As with all shots, watch the background too and reposition yourself if there's something distracting in it, which can be anything. I can't begin to tell you how many lovely photos of my daughter have been spoiled by something I hadn't noticed in the background.

And if you haven't yet subscribed (I suspect you have if you are here), I recommend the eos magazine archives - you get full access to the archive online and you will learn far more from those than from me and the latest one is full of good advice on shooting family portraits.

Happy shooting!
              Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMackie View Post
                Nice shot of a beautiful girl but agree with you regarding the eyes.

As you also requested advice for future shots, whereas shooting from adult height will result in adoring looks such as this one, I would generally recommend shooting form a lower angle when photographing children - get down into their world, as it were. Either shoot level with the eyes or often better still, get down so low you look up at them.

As with all shots, watch the background too and reposition yourself if there's something distracting in it, which can be anything. I can't begin to tell you how many lovely photos of my daughter have been spoiled by something I hadn't noticed in the background.

And if you haven't yet subscribed (I suspect you have if you are here), I recommend the eos magazine archives - you get full access to the archive online and you will learn far more from those than from me and the latest one is full of good advice on shooting family portraits.

Happy shooting!
                Andy
                Thanks very much for your advice Andy will have a look at the archives

Flickr
                Facebook

Comment

It works.

I also agree on the cloning/tone down the right hand side you will put on the focus on her face.
                  Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                  Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
                    Hi Paul,

I agree that it works nicely and that as you have said it would have been even better is both eyes had caught the light.

The only other observation, and not a criticism, is that if you toned down the bright areas on the right hand side you would really push the focus onto the little girls lovely face.
                    Thank Muscat I hadn't seen that and now you point it out I couldn't agree more it draws you eyes away from the face

Flickr
                    Facebook

Comment

Working...
                    X