Studio session at our Camera Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Studio session at our Camera Club

We had a studio session with a male model at our Camera Club last week.

Still massive amounts to learn but had a go at a B&W conversion, all comments good or bad welcome

CC9J2867 by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr
    Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Re: Studio session at our Camera Club

That looks very good to me...i'm no expert but there is a nice range of tones, lots of deep blacks, good composition and detail....is the back of the hand slightly OOF though? (not that it matters...but you have welcomed comments).... (just checked flickr - f2.8, I would have used F9 or smaller and increased the lighting)
    overall a very characterful image.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Just one comment from me - that's VERY, VERY good
      - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Thanks Brian,
        It was taken at our camera club studio session last week and there was about thirty other members also trying to get some shots so I shot wide open to keep the ISO down and get the shots in quick hand held.

I reckon as you say a bigger F Stop and dialing up the lighting would have got even better results.

I'm pretty happy for only my second go at studio portraiture with the results.....onwards and upwards :)
        Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

Its really good Jeff.....my experience is using my own Bowens lights....they are very powerful and I have to use F9 with ISO100 even on the lowest power setting in my makeshift home studio to avoid over-exposure....hence I've always god good depth of field.
          Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Very nicely done. I really like the lighting, and the pose. You've processed it really well too. A little more exposure would have given the complete outline, which would've been my preference, but it's not my image, and I really like it as it is.

Well done,

Garry
            Garry Macdonald on Flickr
            Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

As a studio shot really like the composition. For me I'd have liked better depth of field so that the ear, brim of hat at front and the hand were in focus. Having said that I'd be happy to have taken this.
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                Very nicely done. I really like the lighting, and the pose. You've processed it really well too.
                I agree I think it works well.
                Andrew

Comment

Thanks for all the comments everyone, I'm so far out of my comfort zone with studio photography and B&W editing it's all a great learning curve

Bowens lighting used to be made in my town of Clacton On Sea Brian, a few of my friends worked there for many years until they pulled the production to overseas !

I'm seriously thinking of putting a basic studio lighting set on my Christmas wish list now
                  Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Jeff...I'm wondering if I need mine at all....I also have three speed lights and they work great with triggers on a stand....and all you need in most situations. Calumet do inexpensive speed lights and triggers....but limited to manual control - not a problem when you are in control of every element in a studio set up....this was taken outside to be fair but in a small studio I think this effect could be achieved.....even easier with a black background
                    _MG_0085.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Well done

Tom

Comment

Many times at an event like that you have to take what you can get. You did well with what you had under the circumstances and for that you should be proud...
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/23748789@N02/

Comment

Very nice image, well done.
                          Derek

EOS R, RF 24-105mm L f4, EF 16-35mm L f4, EF 70-200mm f4 L IS II USM

Comment

Jeff, that is very nice. Oh that devil of DoF, thick or thin! Actually I think the oof hands and ear focus you on the face more, but I could see it working both ways.
                            Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Thanks for the positive comments everyone
                              Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X