another wood nympth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another wood nympth

These photos are all from a session I did with a Purple Port model (find her here) called Laura. She's a 26 year old actress/producer and many other things, but when she turns up to model she is very committed and open to various crazy ideas. This session I wanted to focus on creating fairy grotto scenes so that I could brush up (no pun intended) my Photoshop techniques.

This is the original image, which was taken with one speed light (a YN 560III) on a 600D using the kit lens at wide angle to add some fantasy distort to the image. The flash was running at about 1/4 (I think) and was mounted on a lightstand and pointing in the opposite direction to the model (ie into an umbrella). This image was cropped in Lightroom, and some lighting enhancements, and other tomfoolery that one can do in Lightroom were added.

IMG_2995-Edit by Paul Ekert, on Flickr

From there I took it in to Photoshop, added some wings, which were green so I color matched them to the models dress using a Hue layer. I then added the ear, and some green make-up to her eyes, this is in fact a photograph of a leaf that has been placed over her eye and set to opacity type set to Color.

After that I added the background, with a layer mask to help the fairy 'fit' into the photo, and added some climbing plants to the log in the middle ground and the tree stump in the foreground on the right. I also used a layer mask to 'wrap' the climbing plant around her arm.

Then I added the glowing ball, plus the lightrays that emanate from him. Once all that was done I fiddled with the light settings and the blur ratios until I got the image below.

Great fun! I recommend it to anyone who wants to do something a bit different with their photos.

fairy-on-log_2a by Paul Ekert, on Flickr

On the negative side the photo itself of the model is overexposed in places so again, the lesson to me is to take more time on setting up the shot before committing to a costume change and moving the session on.

Paul
    Last edited by LarryPlane; 23-10-2013, 09:10.
    EOS 600d & EOS 6D

35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 28-70 2.8, 18-55 kit lens (plus some lenses which I hire)

various flash guns & modifiers

Re: another wood nympth

Really like this, very, very creative with an appealing final image.

Two minor nigggles, I find the purples/pinks a tad strong and on the verge of dominating the scene.
    And a smidgen more empty space on the left (or a touch less on the right) , the model is a bit too central for my eyes.

Regardless, this is good work.
    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Shows us what is possible in PP if you are willing to play and learn.
      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
      Di's Flickr

Comment

Nice photoshopping techniques. +

Tom

Comment

Thanks for the feedback people. I'm working on another one, but it's been sidelined by a video editing task I need to complete first.

Paul
          EOS 600d & EOS 6D

35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 28-70 2.8, 18-55 kit lens (plus some lenses which I hire)

various flash guns & modifiers

Comment

Some very good photoshop work but i find the whole thing a little too vibrant and with most types of shot you should be looking to keep the subject off centre. So some desaturation and re positioning i think would work better

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Working...
            X