Milk splash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milk splash

I have been experimenting with dropping milk onto a black glass mirror rather than into another liquid. These are some samples from my first attempt.

To get a decent shape I found that I needed to thicken the milk (semi-skimmed) with a litte double cream and also raise the header tank to the top of the stand.

The first 2 shots were taken with a single flash above and 90 degrees to the left of the point of impact and 2 flashes with blue gels firing thruogh the backdrop of frosted perspex, all flashes at 1/128 power, 5D3 with 100mm macro ISO200, f16.

The third picture used 2 flashes either side of the point of impact again at 1/128 power with f18 and the camera positioned above the point of impact looking down into the splash

Re: Milk splash

Like this Ian, but really like the last image on that one.

Tom

Comment

When you mentioned this in another thread i wondered how it would work and you have proved its got potential

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

That first shot is amazing and much better than I would have envisaged.

Focussing is a problem though. You have got away with it, but even at f16 it was a bit of a struggle.
        Colin

Comment

Tom, Stan thanks for looking and commenting.

Originally posted by colin C View Post
          You have got away with it, but even at f16 it was a bit of a struggle.
          Colin I agree the DOF needs to be greater, I have installed a similar focus device to the one you use and had this positioned about 10mm above the point of impact and slightly nearer the camera, I then focused on this but the spread of the milk was quite large so next time I will have to get the flashes closer, up the ISO and use f22.

One thing to be aware of is that things do get messy very quickly and I was frequently wiping down the flashes to remove the milk splashed onto them I found that the milk was splashing anything up to 18 inches in all directions.

Comment

Nice set 👍 but.... given the spread of splash you mention I may have to send Mrs S away for a few days before I try this method 😜
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Would evaporated milk have the same effect as your cream been added? - Just a thought.

Do like number one.
              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
              Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks Di, I don't know about evaporated milk, I hadn't thought of using it but it may well work, when I have finished the small pot of cream I bought I will give it a try.

Comment

Absolutely brilliant shots Ian especially #1
                  EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

Thanks Chris

Comment

Really like #1, the white against the blue and then the reflection at the bottom. Brilliant
                      “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
                      http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

Well i thought I'd see it all but no you've come up with something new in the world of splash photography, top marks Muscat

Paul
                        EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                        Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Thanks Mazzie and Paul

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X