How good is the 300f4L for Motorsport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How good is the 300f4L for Motorsport?

I know in an ideal world the 300f2.8 is the one to go for, and I would really like the v2 but by co
    comparision how good is the f4 version

I know I will struggle at le mans 24hr and also at the end of the day in September and October

But in reasonable to good light how does it compare for

Focus speed
    Sharpness
    Quality of colour reproduction

I would be handheld most of the time with a 7d, 5d3 or 1d1v

Etc etc

Is it an idea to pick up a used one or keep saving hard for a v2 f2.8

Many thanks
    Colin
    Last edited by colintf; 23-04-2013, 14:21.

Re: How good is the 300f4L for Motorsport?

Hi Colin
    The f4 300mm is very sharp, fast focusing and best of all is not too heavy - so great for hand held shots where you might be holding it for hour on end etc.
    The f2.8 is reputed to be one of Canon 's best lenses ever. It's razor sharp, super fast focusing but quite a bit more heavy. You can hand shoot with very easily but not for hours on end - if that's the case you would need a monopod or wimberley head on a tripod to take the wright whilst you are panning etc.
    The main difference between the mk 2 and the mk 1 (I have the mk 1 and a very good friend has the mk2 so we have swapped and compared them on many occasions) is two fold - first the mk 2 is a tad lighter and second, the mk 2 IS is much more refined. We could not detect any difference in optical quality.
    A hard decision to choose between the three of them and comments from other users of these lenses may help you out.
    If you keep your eye on the classifieds I will be putting my Mk 1 up for sale in a months time, or you might also see ones offered by other members. It also worth keeping an eye open on the classifieds of the Talk Photography forum as well.
    Hope this helps
    James
    James Boardman Woodend
    www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

PS - apologies about the typo's - damned Ipad self correction tool has a mind of its own !!
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

thankyou for your reply Jim

Comment

Both lens would serve you well, I have a 300mm f 2.8 mki which serves me well and love to bits.But now we are having better weather i don't really need to shoot at f2.8 (very very limited depth of field at 2.8)and try shooting at f4 even 5.6 if i can keep the shutter speed up and as for bike/car racing I'm shooting at 1/200sec at f9 to try and give a sense of speed.I shoot all year round week in week out Were the 2.8 really comes into its own is in the winter months when the light is poor or I'm covering night matches under floodlights that's when those extra few stops give me the edge.

Paul
          EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
          Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

thanks Paul

i guess another benefit of the f2.8 is adding a 1.4 extender and getting 420f4 comared to 420f5.6

Comment

Originally posted by colintf View Post
              thanks Paul

i guess another benefit of the f2.8 is adding a 1.4 extender and getting 420f4 comared to 420f5.6
              Very true, For Cricket i use x2 extender(600mmf5,6) with very good results.

Paul
              EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
              Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I would also mention (but Im sure you are all aware of this - so rather like telling grandma how to suck eggs etc) that even when shooting, at say, f8 all f2.8 lenses will focus fully open between each shot before it closes the aperture down. This means all the focus points on you camera are up and running at their best - so the focus tends to be faster and stay locked on more effectively than with a f4or f5.6 lens..
                James
                James Boardman Woodend
                www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

thankyou for the info

I wonder how the 300f4 compares to a 70-200f2.8v2 with a 1.4 (latest one) extender on at 280mm?

Comment

Working...
                  X