Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who could this be

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Who could this be

    My first real attempt at street photography.
    Street photography is definitely a genre I am not comfortable with. Hence I used my 100-400mm to keep some distance from the subject.

    Gary Cantwell LSINWP. ASINWP.

    #2
    So you’re peering through the trees with your big white lens? Hmmm.
    There’s a chap in our photography group who has a tiny unobtrusive camera, a Sony I think, works for him.

    Canon EOS R6, Canon 5d mk iv plus the usual suspects ......

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

    Comment


      #3
      It’s something I would not get involved in. Not good in this day and age, only a few months ago there was someone down here who was in court who said he was doing Street Photography, when in fact he was photographing young girls. He had been seen by a group of young lads who gave him a good hiding. Police did further investigations and found he had been downloading child sex images, he was jailed. I hate to think what I would do if I caught anyone photographing me without my consent.
      Trev

      Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

      Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Trev B View Post
        It’s something I would not get involved in. Not good in this day and age, only a few months ago there was someone down here who was in court who said he was doing Street Photography, when in fact he was photographing young girls. He had been seen by a group of young lads who gave him a good hiding. Police did further investigations and found he had been downloading child sex images, he was jailed. I hate to think what I would do if I caught anyone photographing me without my consent.
        I think if you’re in a public place your consent isn’t needed so while you may not be impressed at the idea, doing anything about it other than a polite “would you mind not photographing me’, would put you in the wrong.
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post

          I think if you’re in a public place your consent isn’t needed so while you may not be impressed at the idea, doing anything about it other than a polite “would you mind not photographing me’, would put you in the wrong.
          Yes I'm fully aware of that, hence I hate to think what I would do - they would more than likely have a camera & lens that was a complete 'write-off'
          Trev

          Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

          Flickr:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Trev B View Post

            Yes I'm fully aware of that, hence I hate to think what I would do - they would more than likely have a camera & lens that was a complete 'write-off'
            And you’d more than likely be arrested and face charges for assault and criminal damage. Seems like something I would want to avoid.
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post

              And you’d more than likely be arrested and face charges for assault and criminal damage. Seems like something I would want to avoid.
              That person my not want his/her photograph taken for a host of reasons, what right has anyone to encroach on their privacy.
              If you have any decency you would ask the person first, if it were OK to take a photograph of them, secondly you would ask if you could put it up for public viewing on a Forum . --- That's what I would do.
              Trev

              Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

              Flickr:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

              Comment


                #8
                Under UK law,if you are in a public place you can photograph whoever you want without asking their permission.Granted it would probably be courteous to ask first,but generally that's neither possible or practicable.If I take a shot of someone in public,it's to add interest to the scene in general.I avoid doing so with homeless people in shop doorways etc or people begging or drunks,none of those are able to give their informed consent and could be considered vulnerable.

                I've had instances at outdoor public events where stroppy little"security guards"(generally untrained unintelligent inadequates,) (and I speak as a former professional of considerable experience at a high level)have tried to demand that I stop taking photographs,only to be informed of the legal situation,and they generally walked away looking suitably crestfallen.


                "they would more than likely have a camera & lens that was a complete 'write-off'..that made me smile,after a few months away from the forum,I note that your attitude still hasn't improved any.
                Last edited by Knighthawk99; 28-08-2021, 19:10.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Knighthawk99 View Post
                  Under UK law,if you are in a public place you can photograph whoever you want without asking their permission.Granted it would probably be courteous to ask first,but generally that's neither possible or practicable.If I take a shot of someone in public,it's to add interest to the scene in general.I avoid doing so with homeless people in shop doorways etc or people begging or drunks,none of those are able to give their informed consent and could be considered vulnerable.

                  I've had instances at outdoor public events where stroppy little"security guards"(generally untrained unintelligent inadequates,) (and I speak as a former professional of considerable experience at a high level)have tried to demand that I stop taking photographs,only to be informed of the legal situation,and they generally walked away looking suitably crestfallen.


                  "they would more than likely have a camera & lens that was a complete 'write-off'..that made me smile,after a few months away from the forum,I note that your attitude still hasn't improved any.
                  Thought this might hit a RAW NOTE with you
                  Trev

                  Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

                  Flickr:
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Very good.

                    At Pride next week,when I'll be wandering around the site when taking a break from being at the side of the stage,if I spot some good photo-opps in a huge crowd,i'll be asking if I can take their photos,generally people are more than happy to oblige.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Oh dear, it seems a storm of comments from people getting hot under the collar!!
                      Although I do understand that it is not against the law to take a photo of a person in a public place, many people dislike it and consider it an intrusion. Some may take it personally….Why do you want to snap me ? Am I weird? Ugly?
                      I now rarely take a photo without asking first and explaining why ( you have such an interesting face/amazing beard/ fabulous eyes) unless they are street performers or at a special event when I reckon they are happy to be snapped.
                      Canon EOS R6, Canon 5d mk iv plus the usual suspects ......

                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

                      Comment


                        #12
                        It's a great photo in b & w but something I have never done.
                        Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I would not be using a big telephoto for street work personally, I would also be aware that taking pictures could end up causing confrontation in this day and age, I did wander around Dundee some years back taking images of buildings and sculptures, some images included people walking by, I was in full view and some folk stopped to let me take a shot, they didn't want to "spoil" my shot as a couple said, in the open folk don't seem to mind, if you act like you might be spying on them, they might not like it.
                          Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Colin W View Post
                            It's a great photo in b & w but something I have never done.
                            Thanks Colin for your input on image.
                            Thanks everyone else on their views, morals and ethics on the genre of street photography.
                            Gary Cantwell LSINWP. ASINWP.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X