Colour cast ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colour cast ?

I was shooting at a farmers market, one of my images had this colour cast, yet images either side of this were normal.
    Any ideas as to what occurred ZK2B0292.jpg

My first guess would be a read failure from the sensor or a write failure to the card. I've never seen a colour cast like this but I have occasionally had files not write properly to card leading to bits missing or image distortion or even a completely blank file - and not necessarily to the same card either.

If it becomes a frequent occurrence my inclination would be to buy a new card first and see how that goes.
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
      My first guess would be a read failure from the sensor or a write failure to the card. I've never seen a colour cast like this but I have occasionally had files not write properly to card leading to bits missing or image distortion or even a completely blank file - and not necessarily to the same card either.

If it becomes a frequent occurrence my inclination would be to buy a new card first and see how that goes.
      As I 'write' to both cards, I checked them both for the colour cast and it appeared on both

Comment

Originally posted by macabee View Post

As I 'write' to both cards, I checked them both for the colour cast and it appeared on both
        Curious... That would suggest some sort of read or process failure in camera. Could be that the electronics have glitched and misread the sensor output or there was a hiccup in the white balance system. Let's hope this is going to be one of those oddities that happens once and is never seen again.

I assume you are writing raw to one card and JPEG to the other? What software are you using to read the raw file? DPP I think tends to convert the raw data exactly the same as the camera settings while third party software applies it's own settings. Have you tried on different raw converters (assuming you have more than one)? Can the balance be corrected at all from the raw file?
        Last edited by El Sid; 07-03-2023, 12:27.
        Nigel

Comment

I write RAW to both, for post editing I use either Luminar Ai or Luminar Neo, I have tried DPP4 but find it a bit tortuous for me

Comment

Does the colour cast appear when viewed on the camera LCD?

Looks to me that you only have magenta data here and luminance...hence a monochromatic magenta image....with no green of cyan....seems those pixels decided to take a break from working n that image only.
            Last edited by @imagesBV; 07-03-2023, 16:46.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

It did, whilst it did not happen on the day, I cannot trust the camera

Comment

Originally posted by macabee View Post
                It did, whilst it did not happen on the day, I cannot trust the camera
                Understandable... I suggest taking it out for a non-critical shoot and see if it does it again. Hopefully it's a one off glitch rather than a sign of something more serious.

Did you try opening it in DPP?
                Nigel

Comment

This happened to me last year, image the same on both cards - Raw & JPEG. It was a one off had no problems since
                  Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post

Understandable... I suggest taking it out for a non-critical shoot and see if it does it again. Hopefully it's a one off glitch rather than a sign of something more serious.

Did you try opening it in DPP?
                    That is what I intend to do

Comment

I have seen this a couple of times on various of my my cameras. It has always been a one off. The sensor data should have three channels Green, Red and Blue. Clearly the green has failed. This is probably a one off glitch and as the overall luminance appears OK the fault would appear to be in the data conversion by the processor as it has processed green channel incorrectly. The fact that there is white showing suggests a processing fault NOT a sensor fault.
                      Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
                        I have seen this a couple of times on various of my my cameras. It has always been a one off. The sensor data should have three channels Green, Red and Blue. Clearly the green has failed. This is probably a one off glitch and as the overall luminance appears OK the fault would appear to be in the data conversion by the processor as it has processed green channel incorrectly. The fact that there is white showing suggests a processing fault NOT a sensor fault.
                        Many thanks. It has not happened since, I'm very pleased to say.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X