Tornado brings rain to Backwell again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tornado brings rain to Backwell again

It was supposed to be Britannia pulling the English Riviera Express this morning, but it turned out to be Tornado.

And it rained.

Again!

Tornado in the rain (again) by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Thank you John, I was just about to leave to go and get a masterpiece of Britannia - I won't bother now. BTW its not raining in Devon Nice shot, pity about the rain.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

It is 70000 Britannia masquerading as 70022 Tornado!
      Not sure why she was renumbered for this trip.
      Great photo!
      Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Originally posted by bobowen View Post
        It is 70000 Britannia masquerading as 70022 Tornado!
        Not sure why she was renumbered for this trip.
        Great photo!
        I have just discovered this for myself - I'm totally confused and somewhat disappointed now - I always thought an engine number was an engine number and that was it.

I cannot see the point of putting a false name and a false number on a loco - I thought these people were preserving heritage, not indulging in fantasy.
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

I don't understand it anyhow it just a puffer train to me - something different, it's not got wings or legs.
          Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Nice shot John, shame about getting wet. No doubt another Gov rule about the engine change!!!!
            Derek

EOS R, RF 24-105mm L f4, EF 16-35mm L f4, EF 70-200mm f4 L IS II USM

Comment

Very nice photo well done.
              Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Nice capture John, well done
                Peter

Feel free to browse my
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Well captured John.

Bill.
                  7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Great shot John.

I'm sure any rail buffs onboard that day would have known it wasn't Tornado and would have made their feelings known about the deception.

The non-buffs who were thinking it was Tornado pulling then finding out it wasn't after no doubt telling their friends,have a perfect right to feel aggrieved.I sincerely hope the railway weren't advertising it as Tornado.

Comment

The number and name swapping will get even more confused for the non rail buffs if just the name ‘Tornado’ is used.

For clarification, the subject of last weekend’s images is a Britannia Class locomotive No 70000 ‘Britannia’ which has been temporarily renamed ‘Tornado’ the name originally carried by another Britannia class locomotive No 70022. This locomotive was withdrawn in 1967 and later scrapped.
                      There are 2 Britannia Class locomotives preserved, 70000 ‘Britannia’ and 70013 ‘Oliver Cromwell’ which is part of the National Collection and currently based at the Great Central Railway at Loughborough.

The other ‘Tornado’ No 60163 is the LNER Class A1 a newly built locomotive completed in 2008.

I hope this explanation doesn’t confuse the situation!
                      Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Originally posted by bobowen View Post
                        The number and name swapping will get even more confused for the non rail buffs if just the name ‘Tornado’ is used.

For clarification, the subject of last weekend’s images is a Britannia Class locomotive No 70000 ‘Britannia’ which has been temporarily renamed ‘Tornado’ the name originally carried by another Britannia class locomotive No 70022. This locomotive was withdrawn in 1967 and later scrapped.
                        There are 2 Britannia Class locomotives preserved, 70000 ‘Britannia’ and 70013 ‘Oliver Cromwell’ which is part of the National Collection and currently based at the Great Central Railway at Loughborough.

The other ‘Tornado’ No 60163 is the LNER Class A1 a newly built locomotive completed in 2008.

I hope this explanation doesn’t confuse the situation!
                        Thanks Bob, Not being a railway buff, it was just something different to photograph, I thought all trains like ships carried a name. This now explains things.
                        Trev

Flickr:

Comment

An update to my previous response with a quotation from 'Railway Herald' published today.

"On the Pembroke Coast Express the 'Brit' ran in the guise of long-scrapped classmate 70022 which is believed to have caused some confusion amongst the uninitiated with the LNER 'A1' of the same name. The identity change was, however, an appropriate one as the original locomotive (700022) spent 5 years shedded at Cardiff Canton from December 1956."

So know you know!
                          Bob

Comment

Nicely taken John

Tom

Comment

Working...
                            X