Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what kit do i really need to take?

Been reading this

As i got my first canon 550D dslr for christmas says i need 18-55mm/75-300mm lenses which i already own. Plus lots of other different sizes of lenses and other pieces of kit seems a lot of equipment to be carrying around and very confusing
    Canon EOS 550D
    EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
    EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM

Re: what kit do i really need to take?

Craig, welcome to the world of heavy backpacks full of "must have"gear, empty pockets and regular calls from your bank manager asking where all your savings have gone.
    I know a couple of good soup kitchens who will look after SWMBO and any small Craigs that may be in existence.

For a while I would try to avoid the dreaded "L itis" as once you try a "L" lens then you will be smitten... and a house re-mortgage is the only way forward.

I am very certain that someone like Neilly will come by here and give you the "inside info" on what you really need for air show photography.

In the meantime get down to your nearest gym and build up those muscles.

David
    David

Comment

Hi Craig,
      If I were you I would get used to what you have, learn to use it and then you will understand what you will need next. As I tell my wife there is no limit to what I can spend (something she disagrees with me on)
      When I went along to my first airshow, I had similar kit but was glad to have an extra battery and extra cards.
      I would also read up on panning techniques.
      Software that will allow you to review you shots together with the Exif when you get home is essential too.
      There are others on here with a great deal of experience of dealing with airshows and I am sure they will offer you good, if not better, advice
      Good luck.
      Graydon
      Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
      EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Hi Craig, I started off with similar lenses to you and did a lot of model aircraft photography with a 70-300 (non L) lens.

Yes you always want more but as Graydon has said I suggest that you get really familiar with the kit you have and work out where you need something different. For the aircraft Neil is one of the best for adivice.

As David has said once you get an L lens you will want more so really work out what you want to do and what you need before you spend loads of money unless you are lucky enough to have bottomless funds.

Comment

Hi Craig,

I also started with a 70-300mm lens on the front of a 450D. This was my first DSLR set up. I was very happy with it, too, until I started to get more involved in photography and doing the odd magazine article. That started the preverbial snowball. First up was the 100-400mil lens - that caused a huge leap forward in picture quality/keepers. Then I realised the limitations of the 450D & that was replaced with a 50D & so on till I ended up with a 1D iv + 300mm f2.8 lens as my favoured set up. It all really depends how 'deep' you want to get in to this hobby and whether you want good okay aviation pictures or consistant great pictures. I always remember reading a quote by a well know photographer who said something along the lines of - "decide what camera you can afford, and then buy the next one up." This way you'll never be disappointed. I guess this also applies to lenses, too. I love my 100-400 mm lens, but the 300mil prime always far superior results, which I get great satisfaction from.

TTFN,
          Neil
          Neilly's Flickr Page
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
          Facebook
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Working...
          X