Great Dorset Steam Fair - Colour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Dorset Steam Fair - Colour

Here are the colour versions of the shots posted in black and white for comparison

Stan

Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Great Dorset Steam Fair - Colour

Nice ones yet again Stan.........
    My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
    © JH Foto
    The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

Love the B/W versions over the color, not that the color version are not as good. Well done Stan.

Tom

Comment

Love these ... and prefer this colour set to the mono set.
        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Haven't checked out the B&W yet but these look great in colour.
          They look like post cards from the correct time in history as there are no obvious modern vehicles in site.

David
          David

Comment

Stan, having looked at both the colour and mono shots it has to be the mono versions for me. Don't know if it would work but these colour images may have a more period feel if they were given an HDR treatment to try and replicate some of the historical colour pictures you see.

Nice set and I bet it was fun at the show.

Comment

Very nice set Stan.

I like #1 because of the scenario you've captured. Triple headed with a steerer/banker behind. Wow impressed I am!!

Comment

Nice set of shots and I also prefer the colour to th B/w
                Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Great set of shots

Comment

Thanks for looking guys - interesting to see some prefer the colour over the mono - Dee is in the first camp - didnt want me to convert any of hers to mono.
                    I bet it was fun at the show.
                    yes a great day but the showground is so big its difficult to get round everything in a day so the traction engines was thev area we concentrated on

Stan
                    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                    flickr

Comment

A lovely set, and it's really great to see so many old machines still alive and kicking!! I'm inclined towards the mono versions but only because they look more 'authentic' and have the period feel :O)

Martin
                      Martin

It is better to have and not need...than to need and not have!

EOS 7D, EF-S 15-85 IS USM, EF 50mm F1.8 ll, EF 70-200 F4 L IS, Nissin Di866 Speedlight, Yongnuo YN568EX Speedlight, 4 x Yongnuo 622C triggers, a Battery Grip and 4 spare batteries (for emergencies...)

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                        Thanks for looking guys - interesting to see some prefer the colour over the mono - Dee is in the first camp - didnt want me to convert any of hers to mono.
                        To me "colour" is natural and how things were back in the old days.
                        Why else would these great machines be painted with different colours?
                        Originally posted by mxshooter View Post
                        I'm inclined towards the mono versions but only because they look more 'authentic' and have the period feel
                        'authentic' - conforming to an original
                        I can never understand how a mono photograph can be 'authentic' when the subject of the photograph was originally in colour.
                        If replicating old photographs then as monochrome was the "norm" and affordable media, then that replication can only be authentic to the original photograph (mono).
                        When these, now vintage, steam locomotives, tractors and engines were built 100 years or so ago they were painted in colour and that is how people saw them; in colour.
                        I'm with Dee on the colour/mono argument.
                        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

They were painted In colour and I say they look more authentic that way.
                          Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

I prefer pictures to show an authentic a view as possible, which naturally means colour. IMHO I think we only like B&W for pseudo-nostalgic reasons, which are because B&W was the medium many of us had no alternative to use (127, 120 and 35mm Colour film didn't become within the reach of the average hobbyist until the late 50’s).

Comment

Working...
                            X