Star of Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star of Hope

The Star of Hope (registered in Germany) was build at Peterhead in 1865. It is a Barque some 122' long and 22' wide. On it's way from Wilmington NC with a cargo of cotton bales bound for the Lancashire mills she came to grief in a Force 10 whilst trying to make for Liverpool docks in 1883. Given this crew had been sailing for the best part of 4 weeks one can only imagine how exhausted they must have been. The entire crew of 9 were saved by the local light ship. The wreck is at SD 284 115. The nearby Atlantic wreck was not visible today (except for a foot of wood) the Crown & Anchor was but too far away. There are 300+ wrecks on this part of the coast. Beach walks like this should take note of tides as you can easily get cut off on a sand bank ... but then the water keeps rising. So Take Care.

Anyway just posting for the interest factor ... not photography per se.

1. View from seaside with Formby Point in background (that's snow not chalk)

2. Closer View (they were Sand Yachting - that's what the humans are waiting for)

3. Still Closer

4. View as we left clearly shows the undulating nature of a beach

Just my G10 for these.

Thanks for stopping by.

Re: Star of Hope

MX5 that's a great set of images, with very interesting and comprhensive background information about the wreck
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

MX5, like Peter said a great set of images, made even better with the story behind them. Well done.

Tom

Comment

Looks big on the beach, but I bet it felt minuscule on the high seas.
        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks everyone. It was bitterly cold on the beach with that strong easterly. But I had my full winter outdoor apparel on so was toasty in that.

Comment

A excellent set MX5 plus the history makes a great story.
            Interesting, thanks for this
            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

A great set MX5 and a good narrative to go with it. Thanks. It would be nice if more members would add a bit more blurb to their posts. IMHO, one can appreciate an image better.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Great set of pictures MX5, and the history gives it even more feeling.

Ian
                Ian

Comment

Working...
                X